Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Grilled Flank Steak with Chimichurri


So I may have mentioned this a few times, but Craig and I love to grill. After seven years of city living without any outdoor space, we are loving the small backyard at our new place. It's a great place to sit and have a beer and cook up something delicious. I was wondering around Whole Foods this weekend and I noticed they had flank steak on sale. I usually only ever use flank steak to make braciole, but I decided to grab some to throw on the grill. I decided to make some zingy chimichurri sauce to go with it. Chimichurri is an herb based sauce served on grilled meat. It is believed to have originated in Argentina, but it used throughout Central and South America.

Everyone makes this sauce differently and there are a whole bunch of regional variations as well. I am very protective of my version. I've been experimenting with this for a long time and think I've finally got my proportions right.

Raw garlic, parsley and cilantro make for a very intense sauce. With vinegar, cumin and red pepper, there's a lot going on. It's complex and cooling and compliments the grilled beef really well. I've never tried this with fish, but I froze half this batch and intend to do so soon. Maybe shrimp skewers ... well that's for another post.



Read more for the full recipe!



Ingredients:
1lb flank steak, fat trimmed
salt & pepper
1 large sweet onion, peeled and cut into 1" rounds

Chimichurri Sauce:
1 cup fresh flat leaf parsley, washed
1 cup fresh cilantro, washed
1/4 cup fresh oregano, washed
4 cloves of garlic, peeled
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1/2 tsp cumin
1-2 tsp red pepper flakes (depending on how much heat you want)
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp black pepper

Step by Step Instructions:
1. Combine all sauce ingredients in a food processor. Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes
2. Season room temperature steak with salt and pepper on each side
3. Grill meat to desired level of doneness and allow to rest for 10-15 minutes
4. Slice steak into strips, against the grain
5. Serve drizzled with a tbsp of chimichurri sauce

Labels: , , ,

13 Comments:

At May 10, 2012 at 12:00 AM , Blogger Kim Bee said...

Dang this is making me want to go fire up my grill and whip up some chimichurri asap. Great recipe and photos. I want steak right now.

 
At May 10, 2012 at 4:04 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This looks so beautiful my friend - how you can make a hunk of steak look so elegant and delicious to a vegetarian is beyond me :D

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

 
At May 10, 2012 at 6:16 AM , Blogger inês do crasto said...

This pictures look amazing!

 
At May 10, 2012 at 8:21 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loving the chimmichurri sauce. You're right that everyone makes it differently, but I find it addictive. I did mine with swordfish, http://fdathome.wordpress.com/2012/03/23/swordfish-with-chimichurri-and-mango-salsa/
but I'll have to find some steak when I try your version.

Dave.

 
At May 10, 2012 at 9:53 AM , Blogger The Three Little Piglets said...

I just bookmarked this - the last time I made a chimichurri recipe it wasn't quite right. It was missing a little something I couldn't quite put my finger on!

 
At May 10, 2012 at 10:26 AM , Blogger CJ - Food Stories said...

Not gonna give up the secret sauce, eh :-)

 
At May 10, 2012 at 11:05 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

yummy i love that.

 
At May 10, 2012 at 11:21 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks great!

 
At May 10, 2012 at 2:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chimichurri and flank steak just work so well together. How come no pics of it on the grill?

 
At May 10, 2012 at 4:09 PM , Blogger Jennifer Kendall said...

your chimichurri sauce sounds perfect, i cannot wait to try this!

 
At May 14, 2012 at 12:18 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Love flank steak with chimichurri!

 
At May 17, 2012 at 5:18 PM , Blogger Carole said...

I was wondering if you would like to put up a link to this nice beef recipe in my Food on Friday Series. This week the ingredient is beef.

 
At July 13, 2012 at 8:58 AM , Blogger anay said...

I wanted to follow up and let you know how great I treasured discovering your web site today. I'd consider it a real honor to operate at my place of work and be able to operate on the tips shared on your blog and also be a part of visitors' responses like this. Should a position connected with guest article author become on offer at your end, make sure you let me know.

Gourmet Secrets

 

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means so much to me. Please let me know if you have questions about any of my recipes or if I forgot a step. Also, is there something you would like me to cook or a recipe to makeover? Let me know!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home