Mexican Rice Salad
Now that the weather is nice, we are grilling more and more. It's so nice to kick back after a long week with a beer outside in our backyard. If bribed with peanut butter, Archer will even sit quietly out there with us. I wanted to create a low maintenance side dish that would pair well with all sorts of grilled goodies. I adore wild rice and decided to dress it up with some healthy Mexican flavors. Black beans, corn, pepper and carrots all combine for a filling and tasty salad. Packed with filling protein and fiber, this can easily be a great main dish or a side.
This recipe is extremely versitile. It can be served warm or cold and will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days. I made a big batch and enjoyed it for lunch with some mixed greens.
Read more for the full recipe!
1/2 wild rice
1/2 brown rice
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 medium red onion, diced
1 medium bell pepper, diced
2 carrots, diced
1 cup frozen corn kernels
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
juice of 1 lime
2 tbsp fresh cilantro, rinsed and chopped
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder
Step by Step Instructions:
1. Cook rice according to package directions
2. Add onion, carrot and pepper to hot rice, cover and let sit for 5 minutes
3. Add corn and beans and toss thoroughly
4. Season with lime juice, fresh cilantro, cumin and chili powder
5. Allow to sit for 15-20 minutes and then serve warm or cold