Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Mexican Rice Salad



Now that the weather is nice, we are grilling more and more. It's so nice to kick back after a long week with a beer outside in our backyard. If bribed with peanut butter, Archer will even sit quietly out there with us. I wanted to create a low maintenance side dish that would pair well with all sorts of grilled goodies. I adore wild rice and decided to dress it up with some healthy Mexican flavors. Black beans, corn, pepper and carrots all combine for a filling and tasty salad. Packed with filling protein and fiber, this can easily be a great main dish or a side.

This recipe is extremely versitile. It can be served warm or cold and will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days. I made a big batch and enjoyed it for lunch with some mixed greens.

Read more for the full recipe!




Ingredients:
1/2 wild rice
1/2 brown rice
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 medium red onion, diced
1 medium bell pepper, diced
2 carrots, diced
1 cup frozen corn kernels
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
juice of 1 lime
2 tbsp fresh cilantro, rinsed and chopped
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder

Step by Step Instructions:
1. Cook rice according to package directions
2. Add onion, carrot and pepper to hot rice, cover and let sit for 5 minutes
3. Add corn and beans and toss thoroughly
4. Season with lime juice, fresh cilantro, cumin and chili powder
5. Allow to sit for 15-20 minutes and then serve warm or cold

Labels: , , ,

14 Comments:

At May 2, 2012 at 11:07 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This sounds and looks pretty tasty.

 
At May 3, 2012 at 1:11 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This sounds awesome :D
And what a break from the usual cheesy Mexican dishes!
Thanks :)

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

 
At May 3, 2012 at 6:56 AM , Blogger Suzi said...

I love the wild and brown rice combination, very tasty and all those veggies, beautifull healthy salad. Yum!

 
At May 3, 2012 at 8:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This sounds delish! Great combination of flavors and veggies. :D

 
At May 3, 2012 at 10:02 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks beautiful! Love the corn in this :)

 
At May 3, 2012 at 10:34 AM , Blogger Dawnye7 said...

Good recipe and great color!

 
At May 3, 2012 at 2:04 PM , Blogger Daphne Elliot said...

Thanks Suzi! I find that rice tastes great with any flavor combination.

 
At May 3, 2012 at 4:21 PM , Blogger CJ - Food Stories said...

I frequently mix wild rice with my other rices. I love this recipe, it's so bright and colorful.

 
At May 3, 2012 at 8:52 PM , Blogger Tiffany said...

Perfect for Cinco de Mayo!

 
At May 4, 2012 at 2:57 PM , Blogger Jennifer Kendall said...

that looks great Dara! colorful and delicious!

 
At May 4, 2012 at 6:29 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

This version of dirty rice looks incredibly yummy!

 
At May 5, 2012 at 1:13 AM , Blogger Maureen said...

Perfect dish for Saturday, May 5th! I'm hungry now.

 
At May 5, 2012 at 2:54 AM , Blogger Baker Street said...

I love mexican food. the flavors are so intense. your bowl of salad looks just perfect dara. :)

 
At May 9, 2012 at 6:16 PM , Blogger Kim Bee said...

Okay I am totally making this one soon. I bookmarked it and made a shopping list. You rock my world.

 

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means so much to me. Please let me know if you have questions about any of my recipes or if I forgot a step. Also, is there something you would like me to cook or a recipe to makeover? Let me know!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home