Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Vegetable Quinoa Pilaf


I don't know about you, but I had a very indulgent Easter weekend. It started on Friday night and involved lots of yumminess, including wine, cheese, ham, prime rib, risotto, peeps, strawberries and a ton of bread. Needless to say I am in serious need of some nutritious detox.

So with that in mind I set out to create the healthiest dish I could think of. What resulted is a delicious and filling side dish or main course that will blow you away. I packed in a ton of veggies by shredding them up and adding them to a big pot of quinoa.

Have you boarded the quinoa train yet? If not I suggest you do so immediately. I could go on for hours, but quinoa (pronounced keen-wah) is a seed, not a grain that is related to the spinach family. It cooks and tastes like grain and is easily digested and gluten-free. Best of all, it contains all 9 essential amino acids, making it a complete protein source. It is also full of magnesium, copper, calcium, phosphorus and zinc. I like it because it is extremely filling and will cook in only 10 minutes. We eat a lot of it in our house because it will pretty much pair with anything. Sometimes I just eat it plain sprinkled with some hot sauce.

Ok, back to the recipe. I used broccoli, kale and carrots because that's what I had on hand, but I am envisioning some variations of this with maybe peppers, zucchini, spinach or chard. A bit of spice, some veggie broth and an onion are all you need to give it a rich flavor. I served this with chicken, but it can also be a great main dish. Quinoa comes in three colors, red, white and black. White is the easiest to find, but red and black have more fiber and minerals. Use whatever you can find.

Read more for the full recipe!



Ingredients:
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
3 carrots, peeled and shredded
1 large head of broccoli, trimmed, washed and shredded
2 cups of green kale, ribs removed, washed and shredded
1 cup of quinoa
3 cups low sodium veggie broth
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp sea salt
optional: 1 tsp red pepper flakes

Step by Step Instructions:
1. Using a food processor, shred onion, carrots, broccoli and kale
2. In a medium saucepan, saute shredded veggies in olive oil 2-3 minutes
3. Add quinoa, broth and spices
4. Cover and bring to a boil
5. Reduce heat to med-low, and simmer for 12-15 minutes, until liquid is absorbed
6. Serve warm or cold




19 Comments:

At April 10, 2012 at 10:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmm, this looks so wholesome and comforting :) A beautiful recovery meal!

 
At April 11, 2012 at 1:52 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perfect detox recipe. I love quinoa - we have ready made packs in or supermarkets now which makes my life easier! Loving the colour of this.

 
At April 11, 2012 at 7:22 AM , Blogger TinaRBK said...

All these greens will really take care of the previous over indulging-not to mention eliminating the mental guilt as well. Great healthy creation-yum!

 
At April 11, 2012 at 7:22 AM , Blogger TinaRBK said...

All these greens will really take care of the previous over indulging-not to mention eliminating the mental guilt as well. Great healthy creation-yum!

 
At April 11, 2012 at 10:11 AM , Blogger Lori Lynn said...

Looks delicious.
LL

 
At April 11, 2012 at 2:07 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great and delicious use for quinoa. I'll have to remember that next time I need to use up the stuff.

 
At April 11, 2012 at 2:16 PM , Blogger Jennifer Kendall said...

oh my god, so many healthy things packed into one dish! and it looks so delicious!

 
At April 11, 2012 at 5:53 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This sounds like EXACTLY what I need after my weekend. Doesn't get much healthier than that!

 
At April 11, 2012 at 6:33 PM , Blogger Tiffany said...

I love all of the veggies packed into this pilaf!

 
At April 12, 2012 at 9:43 AM , Blogger Rosella said...

I will definately be making this! It looks wonderful and packed with goodness! Your prelude and detailed instructions are wonderful. Thanks!

 
At April 12, 2012 at 12:15 PM , Blogger Suzi said...

This is a fantastic healthy dish you have going on here. Love it and Congrats on the Top 9.

 
At April 12, 2012 at 1:29 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Nice- so easy, but soooo good! Thanks for the post :)
(I've also tried browning the quinoa in a hot dry skillet first; adds a nice touch...)

 
At April 12, 2012 at 4:03 PM , Blogger Daphne Elliot said...

What a fantastic idea! I will definitely try browning the quinoa next time.

 
At April 12, 2012 at 5:19 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Dara this looks AMAZING! I am totally on board the quinoa train and loving it! I haven't made it with shredded vegetables but I'll have to try that soon. Sounds like a yummy Easter weekend! :)

 
At April 12, 2012 at 8:43 PM , Blogger Her Worldly Pleasures said...

This sounds brilliant, I should try this out on the weekend! I have just started cooking quinoa and lacks of ideas sometimes, this would be a great addition!

 
At April 14, 2012 at 6:31 PM , Blogger Kim Bee said...

This looks delish. I am on the fence about quinoa. I liked it when I made it solo but I did not like the quinoa noodles I tried at all. Because I love and adore you though I will try eating quinoa again. But only cuz I love and adore you. Nothing to do with how tasty this looks or anything.

 
At April 21, 2012 at 4:18 PM , Blogger Ally said...

Wow, dinner heaven! This is my kind of meal. Thanks for sharing!!
xo
http://allykayler.blogspot.com/

 
At May 28, 2012 at 3:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I made this last night and loved it - it's definitely going to be something I make again. Thanks so much for all the grain recipes - there are a bunch of really good ones here

 
At May 29, 2012 at 11:34 AM , Blogger Daphne Elliot said...

Kim. I am so excited to hear the recipe was a success! Thanks for stopping by and leaving feedback.

 

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means so much to me. Please let me know if you have questions about any of my recipes or if I forgot a step. Also, is there something you would like me to cook or a recipe to makeover? Let me know!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home