Monday, April 2, 2012

Thai Chicken Pizza


I have had pizza on the brain lately. I was walking around the store on Saturday and randomly decided to make some kind of Thai pizza. I decided to use my peanut sauce as a base and incorporate some yummy fresh veggies. I have had variations of this at restaurants so I wanted to put my own spin on it while keeping it light and fresh.

I debated various Asian-inspired toppings, and settled on some chicken breast, with a little bit of mozzarella, carrots, green onions and cilantro. I topped it off with some crunch bean sprouts. I was so happy with the result. The peanut sauce is really flavorful and adds so much to the pizza. As always, I got my oven really really hot, 500 degrees, which allows you to get a really crispy crust. I spent some time with a rolling pin getting the crust uniform and super thin. The result was a tangy, crispy and filling treat that was pretty simple to make. I think I might try this again with different veggies, maybe pepper and snow peas.

Read more for the full recipe!


Ingredients:
8oz whole wheat pizza dough
whole wheat flour (for rolling)
1 cup Peanut Sauce (see below)
1.5 cups shredded, part-skim mozzarella cheese
1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, cooked and cut into 1" slices
2 carrots, cut into matchsticks
2 green onions, washed and sliced
2 tbsp fresh cilantro, washed and chopped
1/2 cup fresh bean sprouts

Peanut Sauce:
1/2 cup natural, low-sodium peanut butter
2 garlic cloves
1" piece of fresh ginger, peeled
2 tbsp fresh cilantro, washed
1 tbsp fish sauce
1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
juice of 1/2 lime

Put all ingredients in a food processor and puree until smooth. Makes approximately 1 cup of peanut sauce

Step by Step Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 500 degrees
2. On a floured surface, roll dough out until you have reached desired size and even thickness
3. Using a spatula, spread peanut sauce in a thin, even layer across the dough
4. Sprinkle mozzarella evenly across the top
5. Spread chopped chicken and carrots in an even layer
6. Bake for 12-15 minutes, until cheese bubbles and crust starts to brown
7. Sprinkle green onions, cilantro and bean sprouts on top
8. Bake for another 3-4 minutes
9. Cool and slice



Labels: , ,

15 Comments:

At April 2, 2012 at 9:09 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Love this idea! Buzzed.

 
At April 2, 2012 at 9:12 PM , Blogger Balvinder said...

I was alone for dinner and was deciding what to eat. Now I am going to pull my GF pizza shell from freezer and make this Thai chicken Pizza.

 
At April 2, 2012 at 10:07 PM , Blogger Stephanie said...

I love putting sauces other than tomato on pizza (although I like tomato, too!). Recently I've made a couple of pizzas with pesto sauce - once I like something, I tend to stick with it. I love your idea of putting a peanut sauce on it, though - sounds delicious and very unique! A few questions for you when you have a chance - do you think another fresh herb would work instead of cilantro? Maybe basil? And can you recommend a substitution for fish sauce? I really don't like seafood :( One last thing - do you make your own whole wheat pizza crust, or do you use pre-made dough?

 
At April 3, 2012 at 3:22 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is one of my favorite pizzas at California Pizza Kitchen. Yum!

 
At April 3, 2012 at 7:46 AM , Blogger TinaRBK said...

I have never had anything like this for pizza, but clearly I have been missing out. Great blend of flavors here, especially that peanut sauce. Would have loved to share that pizza with you. Delicious post!

 
At April 3, 2012 at 3:36 PM , Blogger Daphne Elliot said...

I bought frozen pizza dough and defrosted it then rolled it out. I enjoy making my own, but sometimes you just don't have the time.

As far as the peanut sauce - fish sauce is an Asian condiment that doesn't actually taste like fish - its adds a salty unami type taste to things - they sell vegetarian versions at Asian food stores that don't have any fish in them. If you don't want to add cilantro I would forgo it totally. Perhaps some Thai basil if you can find it, but otherwise skip the herbs. There are plenty of other flavors.

 
At April 3, 2012 at 3:47 PM , Blogger lacyd said...

I've never seen a thai style pizza before! This sounds delicious! I love the peanut sauce, I'm sure peppers & snow peas would even be great with this version as well! Looks fantastic!
-Lacy @ NYCityEats.com

 
At April 3, 2012 at 4:30 PM , Blogger Suzi said...

Now this is an interesting pizza. Very creative and your photos are delicious. I be this was really tasty.

 
At April 4, 2012 at 12:16 AM , Blogger DeniseB said...

I often order a thai pizza when I go out. Thanks for the inspiration to make it at home! Sounds great.

 
At April 4, 2012 at 10:20 AM , Blogger grubarazzi said...

Ohhhh. wow! I would love this! Thanks for sharing.

 
At April 4, 2012 at 11:32 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Wow that pizza looks yummy! I'd love to try some!

 
At April 5, 2012 at 7:34 AM , Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks for answering all of my questions! I had no idea that fish sauce doesn't actually taste like fish - very good to know.

 
At April 9, 2012 at 6:39 AM , Blogger Baker Street said...

This is my kinda pizza! Looks absolutely fantastic.

 
At April 9, 2012 at 11:49 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow this looks GOOD! And I thought I was being creative with my "stinky-goodness-pizza":
http://fedupfood.com/2012/02/26/stinky-goodness/

 
At April 13, 2012 at 6:39 PM , Blogger inês do crasto said...

I love veggies pizza! This one looks great ;)

 

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means so much to me. Please let me know if you have questions about any of my recipes or if I forgot a step. Also, is there something you would like me to cook or a recipe to makeover? Let me know!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home