Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Beet, Arugula and Orange Salad with Greek Yogurt Dressing



Spring is here! I love that fresh beets are finally showing up at the store. I was so inspired this week I bought a huge bunch of red beets and a huge bunch of golden beets. There are many wonderful ways to enjoy them but I particularly looove roasting them so they get caramelized and sweet. I wanted to make an awesome salad to highlight these yummy and healthy veggies.

Beets are a uniquely healthy vegetable. Beets are packed with antioxidants, beta-carotene, and anti-inflammatory compounds. Eating beets can help decrease the risk of heart disease, type II diabetes, and certain cancers.

This salad combines the sweet roasted beets with peppery arugula and tart orange segments. I put together a tasty and healthy dressing with Greek yogurt and some tangy balsamic vinegar. The whole thing was simple, tasty and super fresh.

Read more for the full recipe.



Salad Ingredients:
1lb fresh beets (purple or golden), green trimmed and washed
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp black pepper
4 cups of fresh arugula, rinsed
1 large orange, peeled and segmented
1/4 cup raw unsalted pistachios, crushed or chopped

Dressing Ingredients:
1/4 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp dijon mustard
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil


Step by Step Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 425
2. Peel beets and slice into 1/4-1/2" slices
3. In a roasting pan, spread beet slices in a single layer
4. Toss with olive oil and season with salt and pepper
5. Roast for 20-25 minutes, until fork tender
6. Remove beets from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes
7. Whisk together yogurt, vinegar, mustard and pepper
8. Slowly drizzle in olive oil, stirring until combined
9. Plate 1 cup of arugula, top with beet slices and oranges
10. Sprinkle 1 tbsp pistachios and drizzle 2 tbsp of dressing on top
11. Serve!

Labels: , , , ,

9 Comments:

At April 5, 2012 at 12:34 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The yogurt dressing sounds great on salads!

 
At April 5, 2012 at 2:56 PM , Blogger Jennifer Kendall said...

this looks beautiful! i never really know what to do with beets usually...but now i definitely want to try this!

 
At April 5, 2012 at 10:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That dressing looks amazing. Creamy dressings are my favorite, so I love trying to find ways to make them healthy!

 
At April 6, 2012 at 2:16 PM , Blogger Russell said...

Yum! This recipe looks scrumptious. I love all the ingredients and the flavors.

 
At April 6, 2012 at 2:47 PM , Blogger Suzi said...

This is a fantastic salad, love the beets and the peppery taste of the arugula. Have a wonderful weekend.

 
At April 9, 2012 at 6:37 AM , Blogger Baker Street said...

The greek yogurt dressing sounds fantastic!! Gorgeous salad.

 
At April 9, 2012 at 10:53 AM , Blogger Tiffany said...

So elegant! The yogurt and citrus is so spring-y! Love it!

 
At April 10, 2012 at 1:53 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Yum! I really want to try that dressing, it sounds great. I love beets too, reminds me of summer! :)

 
At April 10, 2012 at 5:46 PM , Blogger The Three Little Piglets said...

I haven't found the love of beets yet - my mom used to totally murder them when I was a kid and I have these horrible memories of red squishy blobs without flavor. I've seen so many great recipes though that make me want to give in and try them again!

 

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means so much to me. Please let me know if you have questions about any of my recipes or if I forgot a step. Also, is there something you would like me to cook or a recipe to makeover? Let me know!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home