Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Breakfast Pizzas



I have been on a huge homemade pizza kick lately. Back when we lived in Fenway, we had three different pizza places within walking distance, so we enjoyed our fair share of pizza. Here in Somerville, we haven't yet found our go to pizza place yet. (email me if you have suggestions!) So, I've started to really enjoy making my own and experimenting with all kinds of different toppings. I have always wanted to attempt breakfast pizza, I've seen it done in magazines and always thought it would be so much fun to have bacon and eggs on pizza.

I started with some whole wheat pizza dough that I rolled out into super thin, mini pizzas. To keep things light, I slathered on some tasty ricotta and topped it with fresh herbs. Then I got creative. I used bacon as well as a bunch of other toppings to make each pizza unique. You could add whatever you like to make your favorite breakfast combo. I was thinking next time I'd do some mushrooms and I was even thinking about adding salsa as a topping. I will keep you posted as my experiments continue.

You obviously don't have to eat these pizzas for breakfast. We ate them for dinner while watching some playoff hockey (go Bruins!). I am excited to host a brunch and make these as individual pizzas for my guests.



Read more for the full recipe!


Ingredients:
8oz whole wheat pizza dough
whole wheat flour (for rolling)
1 cup part skim mozzarella cheese
8oz thick cut bacon (approx 8 slices)
4 large brown eggs
1 tbsp fresh rosemary, washed and chopped
1 tbsp fresh parsley, washed and chopped
1 tbsp fresh basil, washed and chopped
black pepper

Optional Toppings:
scallions
cherry tomatoes
jalepenos
olives
bell pepper




Step by Step Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 500 degrees
2. Divide dough into 4 equal lumps
3. Roll out each piece of dough to approxmiately 6-8" in diameter
4. Place on a pizza stone or pan
5. In a frying pan, cook bacon on medium heat, 1 minute on each side, remove and drain on paper towels
6. Spread 1/4 cup ricotta on each pizza
7. Sprinkle herbs over the ricotta and season with black pepper
8. Lay two strips of bacon diagonally across each pizza
9. Top with optional toppings
10. Bake for 5-7 minutes, until crust begins to crisp
11. Remove pizzas from oven, crack one fresh egg in the middle of each pizza
12. Return to oven and bake for another 4-5 minutes, until egg has begun to set
13. Remove and let stand for 5 minutes then slice and serve!


Labels: , ,

15 Comments:

At April 25, 2012 at 9:05 PM , Blogger Tiffany said...

YUM! And I'm with you... my boyfriend asked me last week, "are we seriously going to have pizza for dinner three nights in a row!" Now, I can switch it up with this breakfast pizza! :D

 
At April 25, 2012 at 10:20 PM , Blogger inês do crasto said...

omg, this looks so AMAZING I want to eat these now :O

 
At April 25, 2012 at 10:25 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh, that tomato and egg pizza is calling my name! :)

 
At April 25, 2012 at 10:49 PM , Blogger Stephanie said...

What a fun idea - I've never thought to have pizza for breakfast!

 
At April 25, 2012 at 11:21 PM , Blogger motherrimmy said...

Fantastic change from the typical breakfast!

 
At April 26, 2012 at 1:48 AM , Blogger Crystal said...

Love me some eggs on a pizza!

 
At April 26, 2012 at 6:43 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yum - definitely would not mind pizza for breakfast anyday :D

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

 
At April 26, 2012 at 8:51 AM , Blogger Suzi said...

Very creative pizza. I can eat pizza for breakfast any ole time. Never thought of putting eggs on there, cool.

 
At April 26, 2012 at 1:07 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

This looks so good!! I have heard that you can cook an egg on top of a pizza, but I've never tried it. I will have to try this soon!

 
At April 26, 2012 at 8:39 PM , Blogger CJ - Food Stories said...

I could eat pizza at every meal :)

 
At April 27, 2012 at 12:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love pizza with eggs on top. The one with jalapenos looks right up my alley!

 
At April 27, 2012 at 10:41 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

A whole egg on a pizza. Great idea for breakfast. Very different!

 
At April 29, 2012 at 8:29 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

What a delicious pizza! I'd love to have some!

 
At April 30, 2012 at 3:19 AM , Blogger Baker Street said...

Fantastic idea! Pizza is best enjoyed during breakfast. I'm loving your idea of an egg on it.

 
At May 23, 2012 at 8:23 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Looks absolutely delicious, I am definitely going to experiment with this! I love eggs so much, these seems like a great way to use them. Following you now, looking forward to sharing with you!

Eric @ Happy Valley Chow

http://happyvalleychow.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means so much to me. Please let me know if you have questions about any of my recipes or if I forgot a step. Also, is there something you would like me to cook or a recipe to makeover? Let me know!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home