Sunday, May 6, 2012

Baked Coconut Chicken Fingers with Pineapple Sauce



So maybe it's the yucky rain we've been having lately or the fact that it has been a depressingly long time since I've had a vacation, but I've been in a really tropical mood! So I was excited for this tropical recipe suggestion, courtesy of my food muse, Craig - who requested coconut shrimp. Well I didn't have any shrimp but I did have chicken - so I created this recipe for baked coconut chicken fingers. I combined unsweetened coconut flakes with some breadcrumbs and curry powder for a crunchy, sweet and spicy treat.

Now you can't just dip these exotic chicken fingers in any old ketchup. I was trying to figure out a tasty sauce to compliment the coconut and Craig suggested pineapple sauce. I tried one batch my way - which was a complete disaster - so then I tried Craig's suggestion: fresh pineapple (canned will work), lime juice and some honey. The result was a chunky, sweet sauce that went sooo well with the crispy chicken fingers. We gobbled up the whole batch and I made another to last us a couple of days. It's not a Caribbean vacation, but it was definitely the dose of tropical I needed.

Read more for the full recipe!




Ingredients:
1lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into strips
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs (or Panko)
1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 cup pineapple chunks
juice of 1/2 lime
1 tbsp honey








Step by Step Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 375
2. In a shallow bowl or dish, combine breadcrumbs, coconut, curry, salt and pepper
3. Dredge each chicken strip in egg and then toss with coconut mixture until totally coated
4. Arrange on a greased baking sheet
5. Repeat until you have coated each piece of chicken
6. Bake for 15-17 minutes, until coconut flakes are crisp and begin to brown
7. While chicken bakes, combine pineapple, lime juice and honey in food processor and pulse lightly until combined
8. Serve chicken fingers with pineapple dipping sauce!

Labels: ,

14 Comments:

At May 6, 2012 at 5:51 PM , Blogger inês do crasto said...

Great idea :D I have a dinner with friends tomorrow that's been bugging me with what to prepare, and this sure turned out to be a great option for it! Thank you!!

 
At May 6, 2012 at 6:02 PM , Blogger inês do crasto said...

yogurt-garlic-basil sauce must turn out well too ;)

 
At May 6, 2012 at 10:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh, I'm trying this tomorrow night. Great twist!

 
At May 6, 2012 at 10:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

With pineapple sauce? This is like taking chicken and dressing it up in a hula skirt - tropical :D

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

 
At May 6, 2012 at 11:40 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Those tenderloins look delicious! They must go great with the salsa!

 
At May 7, 2012 at 3:23 AM , Blogger Baker Street said...

Oh yum! I love the idea of a pineapple dipping sauce.

 
At May 7, 2012 at 10:25 AM , Blogger Crystal said...

What an awesome recipe. Love everything about it!

 
At May 7, 2012 at 12:17 PM , Blogger CJ - Food Stories said...

Dara ... what a great idea for a dipping sauce :-)

 
At May 7, 2012 at 12:31 PM , Blogger Vicki Wilde said...

I'm all for the coconut on the chicken fingers, but am a little leery of the pineapple dipping sauce! :) Might have to give this one a try!

 
At May 7, 2012 at 3:22 PM , Blogger Jennifer Kendall said...

this is just awesome - i especially love that pineapple dipping sauce (yayyy for dipping!)

 
At May 8, 2012 at 10:25 AM , Blogger alyce@culinarythymes.com said...

yum. i love these flavors. bookmarking :-D

 
At May 8, 2012 at 10:41 AM , Blogger Foodie Stuntman said...

Love this post. I also have a chicken fingers recipe but they're dredged in flour before their egg wash bath and breadcrumbs then deep fried. This looks like a healthier version.

Congratulations on making the foodbuzz Top 9!

 
At May 8, 2012 at 3:16 PM , Blogger HealthnutFoodie said...

Great photo! We love coconut chicken tenders. Great idea to add the healing spices of curry powder!!! Congrats on foodbuzz!!!

 
At May 9, 2012 at 6:15 PM , Blogger Kim Bee said...

You...are...a...genius!

 

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means so much to me. Please let me know if you have questions about any of my recipes or if I forgot a step. Also, is there something you would like me to cook or a recipe to makeover? Let me know!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home