Thursday, March 22, 2012

Dannon Yogurt French Toast



So I promised you some more recipes from my Dannon Sunday brunch this week. I wanted to make lots of creative things with yogurt and settled on tasty french toast as one option. This is super simple. Instead of just soaking the bread in milk and eggs, I added some Dannon Activia Harvest Picks Mixed Berry Yogurt, which added an incredibly rich and creamy taste to the french toast. The tasty berry flavor also added a really tangy taste, which upgraded this from traditional french toast.

I made some healthy substitutions to a traditional french toast recipe. I used skim milk and no butter. Instead, I used olive oil cooking spray, which worked really nicely and created a crisp crust to the bread. At brunch I topped this with fresh berries mixed with some more yogurt and powdered sugar. It was a insanely decadent, yet light treat!

Read more for the full recipe!



Ingredients:
1 loaf of pullman or challah style bread, sliced into 1-2" thick slices
1 egg
2/3 cup skim milk
1 4oz container Dannon Activia Harvest Picks Mixed Berry Yogurt
Olive oil cooking spray
Fresh berries
Maple Syrup

Step by Step Instructions:
1. In a shallow bowl or pie plate, whisk together egg, yogurt and milk
2. Dredge each slice of bread in mixture, saturating both sides
3. Heat a griddle or skillet to medium heat and spray with cooking spray
4. Place two slices of bread in the skillet and cook 4-5 minutes on each side, until golden brown
5. Flip and cook the other side
6. Repeat steps 2-5 until you have used all the bread slices
7. Serve warm with fresh berries and maple syrup

20 Comments:

At March 22, 2012 at 9:44 PM , Blogger Stephanie said...

That first picture is so beautiful! I'm not a huge fan of French toast (I prefer pancakes or waffles) because sometimes it just tastes too metallic-y to me due to the egg (if that even makes sense). But I love your idea of adding yogurt to the egg mixture - that sounds really good! I definitely want to give this a try. You must have been able to feed an army with all of the food you made for the brunch :)

 
At March 22, 2012 at 11:44 PM , Blogger Baker Street said...

I love french toast and your pictures are making me drool, Dara!

 
At March 23, 2012 at 1:16 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I'm not into french toasts, but I'd eat these in a morsel! They look delicious!

 
At March 23, 2012 at 6:22 AM , Blogger TinaRBK said...

How tempting is this post-yum! I do like french toast and you have make a tasty preparation here. Creative use of yogurt, definitely worth a try. Have a great day.

 
At March 23, 2012 at 7:20 AM , Blogger Katherine said...

Yum!! I love the idea of including yogurt in the coating. Sounds delicious.

 
At March 23, 2012 at 7:25 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This French toast looks very tempting, and I love the Harvest Picks Activia. It's so good!

 
At March 23, 2012 at 12:43 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I usually try to avoid eating french toast too often for health reasons, but your version looks amazing AND almost guilt-free!

 
At March 23, 2012 at 2:06 PM , Blogger lacyd said...

Ah french toast is my all time fav brunch by far! Especially topped off with some fresh berries. Yours looks incredible and I like the use of the yogurt for the dipping. I'm going to have to try this on my next french toast adventure, I bet it makes the french toast extra delicious!
-Lacy @ NYCityEats

 
At March 23, 2012 at 2:06 PM , Blogger lacyd said...

Ah french toast is my all time fav brunch by far! Especially topped off with some fresh berries. Yours looks incredible and I like the use of the yogurt for the dipping. I'm going to have to try this on my next french toast adventure, I bet it makes the french toast extra delicious!
-Lacy @ NYCityEats

 
At March 23, 2012 at 2:45 PM , Blogger Jennifer Kendall said...

i'm not generally into french toast, but these look so amazing i would eat them in a heartbeat! that was such a creative use of the yogurt!

 
At March 23, 2012 at 4:14 PM , Blogger inês do crasto said...

beautiful :)

 
At March 23, 2012 at 5:07 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Fabulous French Toast! I too like to use Pam for my French Toast. It adds that extra little bit of crispiness that is nice.

 
At March 24, 2012 at 12:12 PM , Blogger Kim Bee said...

This looks wicked good. I never liked french toast until recently. They had a banana one at the conference that I ate like 3 servings of. So much for not liking french toast. Lol! I'll have to give this one whirl.

 
At March 24, 2012 at 2:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this is a crisp delight - it looks so decadent for breakgast :D
What a great recipe!

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru
Latest: Colossal Caramel Peanut Monster Cookies

 
At March 25, 2012 at 1:25 AM , Blogger Amalia said...

OMG! My mouth is watering!! This looks amazing, I absolutely love french toast! I've never made it myself, which is a shame because it's so easy to make. Your presentation is beautiful and I can just imagine how insanely good it tastes :)

 
At March 25, 2012 at 1:47 PM , Blogger alana said...

I've never used yogurt in my french toast,but that looks great!

 
At March 25, 2012 at 2:46 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love it! I've never used yogurt in my French toast, but this looks just utterly to die for :) Can't wait to see the other recipes!

 
At March 27, 2012 at 6:19 PM , Blogger Nuno said...

Dara I loved this recipe. Congratulations on your blog. Did you know that french toasts are a Christmas sweet in Portugal? the bread slices are dipped in milk and eggs, the deep fried and served with a cinnamon syrup.

keep up the good work :)

 
At July 3, 2012 at 11:39 PM , Blogger Anne said...

Delicious!

 
At July 3, 2012 at 11:41 PM , Blogger Angeline said...

This is a mouth-watering food. I love eating yogurt and drinking probiotic yogurt. For me, they are among the healthiest food on earth. They contain helpful bacteria that aids in proper digestion.

 

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means so much to me. Please let me know if you have questions about any of my recipes or if I forgot a step. Also, is there something you would like me to cook or a recipe to makeover? Let me know!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home