Monday, March 19, 2012

Lemon Parmesan Crusted Tilapia


Everyone knows they should eat more fish. However, it can be so difficult to find and get fresh, healthy and environmentally conscious fish. I am lucky enough to live in a place where fish is affordable and easy to come by, but for many that's not the case. This is one of the many reasons I love tilapia. It's plentiful, low in mercury, safely farmed and relatively easy to find, especially frozen. It's also generally cheaper than other types of fish (salmon, swordfish) and can be quickly and easily turned into a delicious dinner.

Craig and I were both feeling like fish after a decadent weekend, so I decided to dress up some tilapia filets we picked up. I combined two strong flavors, lemon and parmesan, with some whole wheat breadcrumbs for a light and healthy topping for the fish. Start to finish this recipe takes about 15-20 minutes total, making it a great weeknight dinner option.

The result was tangy and delicious. The flavors complimented the fish without being overpowering. I was  really happy with the taste as well as the simplicity of the recipe. I served this with asparagus and wild rice, but it could work well with anything.

Full recipe after the jump


Ingredients:
1lb tilapia filets, rinsed and patted dry
1/2 cup whole wheat panko
2 tbsp lemon zest (approx 1/2 a medium sized lemon)
1 tbsp dried parsley
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 tsp red pepper flakes
salt and pepper
lemon wedges

Step by Step Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 375
2. In a shallow dish, mix together breadcrumbs, zest, cheese, parsley and red pepper
3. Coat each piece of fish with breadcrumb mixture, using your hand to pat it down
4. Lay fish filets on a greased cookie sheet
5. Continue until each filet is coated
6. Season with salt and pepper to taste
7. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until fish is flaky and breading is crisped
8. Serve with a lemon wedge




Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At March 19, 2012 at 10:54 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Looks delicious! I'm not a fan of filleted fish, but this looks pretty yummy!

 
At March 20, 2012 at 7:35 AM , Blogger TinaRBK said...

This looks amazing! I really do like seeing all those flecks of red pepper and parsley in the coating-yum! Time for me to get some fresh fish, your plating is stunning. Thanks for posting this one.

 
At March 20, 2012 at 7:36 AM , Blogger TinaRBK said...

This looks amazing! I really do like seeing all those flecks of red pepper and parsley in the coating-yum! Time for me to get some fresh fish, your plating is stunning. Thanks for posting this one.

 
At March 20, 2012 at 12:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a winner, Dara, I love the red pepper flakes with the Parmesan and lemon. Nice combo. We used to eat a lot more Tilapia but for some reason were turned off...maybe it's time to get back into it.

 
At March 20, 2012 at 1:57 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This looks delicious. And I like that you served such a light fish over a bed of asparagus!

 

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means so much to me. Please let me know if you have questions about any of my recipes or if I forgot a step. Also, is there something you would like me to cook or a recipe to makeover? Let me know!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home