Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Garlic Ginger Mashed Sweet Potatoes



Sweet potatoes are a wonderful and tasty compliment to any meal. I wanted to use them with my Spicy Thai Roast Chicken so I decided to put together a side dish that would pick up some of the flavors from my Thai marinade. Garlic and ginger added a nice compliment to the sweetness of the potatoes, while not overpowering the dish. Plus, this ended up being an incredibly lean and healthy recipe. Just a bit of olive oil and some skim milk is all you need to get a tasty, creamy texture. This recipe will yield four large servings or six smaller servings, depending upon your appetite. The best part? A large portion of this dish has only 195 calories and 6 grams of fiber.

I also wanted to give a shout out to the lovely Eva from KitchenInspirations who not only made my whole wheat cheez-itz this week, but send along four lovely awards for me. I am always so flattered when someone makes one of my recipes, so I was especially excited to see these yummy, healthy snacks on her site. If you haven't already, I urge you to check out her blog, she makes amazing recipes and has the most gorgeous kitchen!

Read more for the full recipe!



Ingredients:
1.5lbs sweet potatoes, scrubbed
4 cloves of garlic
1 2" piece of fresh ginger, grated
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup skim milk
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
optional: 1 tbsp fresh cilantro, washed


Step by Step Instructions:
1. Cut sweet potatoes into 2" cubes
2. In a medium saucepan, cover potatoes with 1" of cold water
3. Bring to a boil and boil 6-7 minutes, until fork tender
4. Drain potatoes and set aside
5. Saute garlic and grated ginger in olive oil on medium heat for 2-3 minutes
6. Add potatoes and milk
7. Using a masher or a large fork, mash potatoes with garlic/ginger mixture
8. Remove from heat, season with salt and pepper and serve
9. Garnish with chopped cilantro

Nutrition Info: Makes 4 large servings
Per serving:
195 calories
3.5g fat
5g protein
6g fiber

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

At March 15, 2012 at 2:12 AM , Blogger Baker Street said...

Ginger is a great addition I say! Can only imagine how great this tastes.

 
At March 15, 2012 at 7:44 AM , Blogger Suzi said...

Very tasty idea, ginger and garlic in sweet potatoes. I bet that really was delicious, I am going to give them a try.

 
At March 15, 2012 at 11:14 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love sweet potatoes and I don't eat them nearly enough. What a beautiful and healthy side!

 
At March 15, 2012 at 4:38 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you kindly, Dara. We loved the healthy cheez-itz. My husband asked that if I make them again for us, to use your recipe instead. Sadly, I don't think the kids would like them...although I may sneak in a tbsp of whole wheat next time I bake it for them.
The awards are well deserved.

 
At March 15, 2012 at 4:40 PM , Blogger Isabelle said...

These sound absolutely delicious! I usually do my mashed sweets with some maple syrup and cardamom, but I think I'll have to give this version a try next time I'm in the mood... I do love me some ginger and garlic.

 
At March 15, 2012 at 5:07 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This looks like a really delicious side to any dish - I am a huge fan of sweet potato :D

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru
Latest: Strawberry Hot Fudge Choc Cobbler

 
At March 15, 2012 at 5:55 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I can see this accompanying a simple seared fish fillet and some steamed vegetables. Love sweet potatoes and love the flavor combination :)

 
At March 15, 2012 at 6:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Delicious looking side dish, and congrats on the four awards!

 
At March 16, 2012 at 9:08 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a lovely idea, they look so good. I have never thought of putting sweet potatoes and ginger together, but they must make a great pair!

 
At March 16, 2012 at 10:57 AM , Blogger Beth @ Beth Michelle said...

I love sweet potatoes! These sound so wonderful. Great pairing of flavors!

 
At March 18, 2012 at 7:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am not at all a sweet potato girl, but i just got some in a CSA box and this looks like a good recipe to try and convert me!

carrie

 
At April 19, 2012 at 1:42 AM , Blogger @acca said...

Thank you for the recipe. I love sweet potato too. The best thing I can do with this tuber plant is the fact that I can also have salty, savory food.
How to Make Sweet Potato Fries

 

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means so much to me. Please let me know if you have questions about any of my recipes or if I forgot a step. Also, is there something you would like me to cook or a recipe to makeover? Let me know!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home