Garlic Ginger Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Sweet potatoes are a wonderful and tasty compliment to any meal. I wanted to use them with my Spicy Thai Roast Chicken so I decided to put together a side dish that would pick up some of the flavors from my Thai marinade. Garlic and ginger added a nice compliment to the sweetness of the potatoes, while not overpowering the dish. Plus, this ended up being an incredibly lean and healthy recipe. Just a bit of olive oil and some skim milk is all you need to get a tasty, creamy texture. This recipe will yield four large servings or six smaller servings, depending upon your appetite. The best part? A large portion of this dish has only 195 calories and 6 grams of fiber.
I also wanted to give a shout out to the lovely Eva from KitchenInspirations who not only made my whole wheat cheez-itz this week, but send along four lovely awards for me. I am always so flattered when someone makes one of my recipes, so I was especially excited to see these yummy, healthy snacks on her site. If you haven't already, I urge you to check out her blog, she makes amazing recipes and has the most gorgeous kitchen!
Read more for the full recipe!
1.5lbs sweet potatoes, scrubbed
4 cloves of garlic
1 2" piece of fresh ginger, grated
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup skim milk
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
optional: 1 tbsp fresh cilantro, washed
Step by Step Instructions:
1. Cut sweet potatoes into 2" cubes
2. In a medium saucepan, cover potatoes with 1" of cold water
3. Bring to a boil and boil 6-7 minutes, until fork tender
4. Drain potatoes and set aside
5. Saute garlic and grated ginger in olive oil on medium heat for 2-3 minutes
6. Add potatoes and milk
7. Using a masher or a large fork, mash potatoes with garlic/ginger mixture
8. Remove from heat, season with salt and pepper and serve
9. Garnish with chopped cilantro
Nutrition Info: Makes 4 large servings