Monday, March 12, 2012

Spicy Thai Roast Chicken



Roast chicken is a delicious and economical meal. Whenever I find a sale on whole chickens at the grocery store, I get really excited to think up a new way to roast them. I particularly love cooking whole chickens because you can get so much mileage out of one. Yes, it takes a while to cook, but you get lots of leftovers that can be used to make a whole bunch of tasty  meals.

So, I decided that an Asian twist on traditional comfort food was in order. I decided to use some Thai flavorings to spice up traditional roast chicken and mashed potatoes.

This spicy Thai marinade is a recipe I developed a year ago and have been perfecting ever since. It is spicy and complex and whenever I use it, I get tons of compliments. I decided to try it with a whole chicken to see what happens. I am happy to report the results were fabulous. The meat was super juicy and flavorful and had the right amount of heat and tang.

Note: cooking roasts can be tricky, since you want everything to be cooked perfectly. In order to do so, I always use a digital meat thermometer. I got one for $19.99 at Bed, Bath and Beyond and it has paid for itself many times over. It has an alarm that lets you know when the meat has reached the desired temperature. I love it since I don't have a fancy stove with a roast probe, yet.



Read more for the full recipe!



Marinade Ingredients:
1.5 cup low sodium soy sauce
2 tbsp asian fish sauce
2" of fresh ginger, chopped
4 cloves of garlic
4 tbsp fresh cilantro, washed
2 thai chilies or 1 habanero pepper
2 tsp ground coriander
1.5 limes, juiced

Chicken Ingredients:
1 4-5lb roasting chicken, washed, patted
1 large (1 gallon) freezer bag
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 medium yellow onions, sliced
1 tbsp coarse sea salt
3-4 sprigs of cilantro, washed
1 lime, quartered
juice of 1 lime

Step by Step Ingredients:
1. Rinse and pat down chicken and place in the freezer bag
2. In a food processor, combine all marinade ingredients and pulse until pureed
3. Pour marinade in freezer bag, push out excess air and seal
4. Refrigerate chicken for 3+ hours (I marinate overnight)
5. Remove chicken from bag of marinade and place into a roasting pan
6. Discard marinade
7. Arrange onions around the chicken
8. Drizzle chicken and onions with olive oil and lime juice and season with salt
9. Stuff quartered lime and cilantro sprigs into the chicken cavity
10. Roast at 425 for 45-60 minutes - until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit
11. Remove from oven and let rest for 10-15 minutes
12. Carve and serve with onions!


Labels: , ,

22 Comments:

At March 12, 2012 at 8:42 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. This roasted chicken looks delicious. I love the slice of breast meat that's cut.

 
At March 12, 2012 at 10:00 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

wow! this roast looks delicious!

 
At March 13, 2012 at 1:09 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great recipe, Dara. I just made a similar rub for some halibut we had last night...YUM! I will try it on a whole roasted chicken next time, coincidentally we did one on Sunday night on the BBQ! We actually remove the entire skin, and totally cover it in a herb en provence rub — it's still juicy and flavourful, unlike you would think!
You're right about it going a long way, we generally get 6+ meals out of one chicky poo!

 
At March 13, 2012 at 2:22 PM , Blogger The Three Little Piglets said...

And the best part about a roast chicken is that you can turn it into chicken stock once you're done!

 
At March 13, 2012 at 4:02 PM , Blogger lacyd said...

Mmm this sounds incredible! I love thai flavors and anything spicy. I'll have to try this out when I make my next roaster. Great recipe!
-Lacy @ NYCityEats.com

 
At March 13, 2012 at 4:06 PM , Blogger LoveFood? said...

Very nice indeed. Will be trying this out very soon...

 
At March 13, 2012 at 4:06 PM , Blogger LoveFood? said...

Very nice indeed. Will be trying this out very soon...

 
At March 13, 2012 at 4:25 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoa! What a lovely chicken! Looks very good, nice pictures too!

 
At March 13, 2012 at 7:49 PM , Blogger Jennifer Kendall said...

i'm totally in love with this. i've recently gotten into roasting chicken, and am now looking for some more exciting flavor combinations. bookmarking this!

 
At March 13, 2012 at 7:55 PM , Blogger Colleen said...

I love the twist on the roasted chicken! I bet it made the house smell amazing...

 
At March 13, 2012 at 10:10 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

What an amazing twist on roast chicken! The pictures are mouth watering!

 
At March 14, 2012 at 1:11 AM , Blogger Baker Street said...

That's such a gorgeous roast. Congratulations on top 9 girl! :)

 
At March 14, 2012 at 10:58 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

yummy!

 
At March 14, 2012 at 11:22 AM , Blogger Rhonda said...

Congrats of the Top 9! I adore Thai food, love bold flavors.

 
At March 14, 2012 at 1:12 PM , Blogger Baggaholic said...

I really hope this stays at number 1 for today! It's my favorite out of todays top 9. I'm all about roasted chicken and have a project in the works soon.

Congrats!!!!

Elena
ThePoshLatinCook.com

 
At March 14, 2012 at 2:02 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the flavours on this chicken. Thai is one of my favourite cuisines.

 
At March 14, 2012 at 3:23 PM , Blogger Tricia Buice said...

This looks like my dinner is ready! What time should I pop over? Yum - really nicely done.

 
At March 14, 2012 at 3:43 PM , Blogger mommeinthekitchen said...

wowww! so very nice that you cooked Thai food look yummmm..

 
At March 14, 2012 at 4:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my, what an amazing roast! :) Love the spicy crisp sound of this!

 
At March 14, 2012 at 4:29 PM , Blogger Michele said...

Thanks! I'm always looking for a different take on roast chicken! Looks and sounds scrmptious :)

 
At March 14, 2012 at 10:44 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This marinade sounds wonderful...I am a sucker for southeast Asian cuisine. Thank you for giving me an idea or two to help perk up my roast birds!

 
At March 15, 2012 at 11:22 PM , Blogger Mango Ginger said...

I love this recipe - I recently did an Indian version but I'll try yours next time for sure. Come visit, I think we share similare tastes in food! www.mango-ginger.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means so much to me. Please let me know if you have questions about any of my recipes or if I forgot a step. Also, is there something you would like me to cook or a recipe to makeover? Let me know!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home