Monday, March 5, 2012

White Bean, Potato and Prosciutto Pizza


Pizza night continues! So, for my second and more adventurous invention, I decided to combine some untraditional pizza toppings in hopes of coming up with a tasty white pizza. I wanted to use beans, since they are healthy, filling and packed with protein and fiber. I decided to mash some cannelini beans with garlic and olive oil and use it instead of sauce. I spread a thin layer on the crust and then topped with some parmesan, prosciutto and sliced fingerling potatoes. I've seen potatoes on pizza a few times and wanted to give it a try. I used fingerlings, which I par boiled and then sliced on top.

This pizza was amazing! I cut it into small squares like a flatbread and it was so yummy. The creamy beans paired beautifully with the salty, crisp prosciutto and potatoes. I thought yesterday's sausage version would be more popular, but we gobbled this up first!

I will definitely be making this for my next party. It makes for delicious finger food or a full meal.

Read more for the full recipe








Ingredients:
8oz whole wheat pizza dough
1 cup canned cannelini beans, rinsed
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves of garlic
3 tbsp fresh rosemary, washed and chopped - divided
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
10 fingerling potatoes, washed
1/3 lb thin sliced prosciutto



Step by Step Instructions:


1. Preheat oven to 500 degrees

2. Bring 1 quart of salted water to a boil

3. Add scrubbed potatoes, boil for 5 minutes and then drain and set aside

4. In a food processor, combine beans, oil, garlic, 2 tbsp rosemary, salt and pepper, puree until smooth

5. On a well floured surface, roll out pizza dough to desired size

6. Using a spatula, spread bean mixture across the dough in an even layer

7. Sprinkle cheese across dough

8. Lay individual strips of prosciutto across dough

9. Slice potatoes into 1/2" slices - spread evenly across dough

10. Season with pepper and remaining chopped rosemary

11. Bake 10-12 minutes - until crust is crisped and potatoes are browned



Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

At March 5, 2012 at 9:28 PM , Blogger mjskit said...

Oh MY! This pizza looks absolutely delicious! I just want to pick a piece up right off the plate!

 
At March 5, 2012 at 9:28 PM , Blogger mjskit said...

Oh MY! This pizza looks absolutely delicious! I just want to pick a piece up right off the plate!

 
At March 5, 2012 at 9:41 PM , Blogger Stephanie said...

I definitely want to try making a white sauce with cannelini beans now - that sounds so good. I've been obsessed with rosemary recently and have been adding it to everything! This would make such a fun appetizer - good idea. Thanks for the step-by-step pictures; I'm such a visual learner and that's so helpful!

 
At March 5, 2012 at 10:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh, white beans and potato on pizza? Sounds odd but amazing!

 
At March 6, 2012 at 12:20 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This looks delicious! It certainly is a pizza filled day out in the bloggy world, isn't it?

 
At March 6, 2012 at 8:30 AM , Blogger The Three Little Piglets said...

I love the mashed bean idea! I get sick sick of pizza with sauce on it - this is such a great, healthy and flavorful alternative!

 
At March 6, 2012 at 9:41 AM , Blogger Yummy said...

Ooh, everything about your pizza looks delicious!

 
At March 6, 2012 at 9:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an amazing idea with the beans, Dara — such a healthy alternative to the béchamel I usually prefer. I will definitely make this soon.

 
At March 6, 2012 at 11:57 PM , Blogger Tiffany the Dietitian said...

Oh WOW. This looks SO good! Thanks for the idea!

 
At March 7, 2012 at 10:02 PM , Blogger Sweet and Salty SF said...

Ooo, now this seems like a healthy pizza I can get into! Interesting idea involving the white bean spread! Must try!

 
At March 8, 2012 at 4:34 PM , Blogger Jennifer Kendall said...

this is just so creative and delicious...love it!

 
At March 12, 2012 at 7:35 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please check out my blog tomorrow, I have nominated you for 4 awards! Congratulations!

 

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means so much to me. Please let me know if you have questions about any of my recipes or if I forgot a step. Also, is there something you would like me to cook or a recipe to makeover? Let me know!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home