Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Roasted Garlic Root Vegetable Mash


In putting together my Lamb Supper Club meal, I wanted to make a side dish that was healthy and flavorful but would also compliment the braised lamb shanks. I decided on a tasty root vegetable mash. I decided to use potatoes, sweet potatoes and turnips. But celery root, rutabegas, carrots and parsnips are also tasty possibilities.

For flavor, I roasted some garlic. Combined with the natural flavors of the vegetables, it was a nice compliment to the lamb shanks. I used no butter or cream, instead some skim milk was all it took to get a nice, creamy texture.

Read more for the full recipe


Ingredients:
1 head of garlic
1 tbsp olive oil
1lb red potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 2" chunks
2/3 lb purple topped turnips (approx 2 medium), ends removed and scrubbed and cut into 2" chunks
2/3 lb sweet potatoes (approx 2 medium), scrubbed and cut into 2" chunks
1 cup skim milk
1 tsp herbs de provence
salt and pepper to taste

Step by Step Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Cut the top off the head of garlic, exposing the cloves
3. Drizzle olive oil into garlic heads
4. Roast for 15-20 minutes, until softened
5. Using a small fork, remove each roasted clove from the skin, set aside
6. In a medium sauce pot, bring 2 quarts of water to a boil
7. Add potatoes, turnips and sweet potatoes and boil for 10 minutes, until fork tender
8. Drain
9. Return potatoes to pot, add garlic and milk and mash to desired consistency
10. Season with herbs, salt and pepper
11. Keep warm on low heat until ready to serve


9 Comments:

At February 28, 2012 at 10:27 PM , Blogger Mother Rimmy said...

This looks like a terrific side dish for any meal. I can totally see this with roasted chicken.

 
At February 28, 2012 at 11:12 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This looks amazing! I would eat it with anything!

 
At February 29, 2012 at 12:10 AM , Blogger Stephanie said...

Ooh, that looks delicious, and I'm amazed that you didn't have to add any butter or cream to get that consistency! I've never roasted garlic using the technique you described, but I bet it makes your apartment smell amazing! I definitely want to try out this recipe.

PS The link to the veggie burger recipe I used is working now if you want to take a peek: http://www.dailygarnish.com/2010/05/vegan-bean-burger-recipe.html

 
At February 29, 2012 at 12:21 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Looks like a great side. I'm sure the roasted garlic gave it a punch that complemented the lamb very well

 
At February 29, 2012 at 8:27 AM , Blogger Yummy said...

Wow! This looks better than the one in Cooking Light! I like the idea of using purple turnips.

 
At February 29, 2012 at 8:29 AM , Blogger Suzi said...

Great side dish and I love the roasted garlic. Yum.

 
At February 29, 2012 at 1:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great side, Dara. You should check out another healthy alternative to mashed potatoes on my blog, it takes to sauces very well indeed. http://kitcheninspirations.wordpress.com/2011/08/17/cauliflower-celeriac-%E2%80%9Cmashed-potatoes%E2%80%9D/

 
At February 29, 2012 at 4:11 PM , Blogger lacyd said...

This sounds great! I love that it combines several veggies, all that go well with roasted garlic! Can't resist that stuff. :)
-Lacy @ NYCityEats.com

 
At February 29, 2012 at 4:12 PM , Blogger lacyd said...

This sounds great! I love that it combines several veggies, all that go well with roasted garlic! Can't resist that stuff. :)
-Lacy @ NYCityEats.com

 

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means so much to me. Please let me know if you have questions about any of my recipes or if I forgot a step. Also, is there something you would like me to cook or a recipe to makeover? Let me know!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home