Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Italian Chicken Meatball Sliders & Alexia Sweet Potato Fries



Here's a fact that will surprise no one: I LOVE french fries. I love all varieties, flavors, sizes and textures. I love fries made of random ingredients and the traditional ones as well. I am also not ashamed to admit that I regularly indulge in fries of the frozen variety. I have been a longtime fan of Alexia products, mostly the waffle fries (SO GOOD) so I was thrilled when, as a Foodbuzz Tastemaker, I was offered the chance to sample a new product for free.

In order to truly enjoy the french fry experience, I knew I had to whip up some kind of burger as well. I decided on some yummy Italian meatball sliders. I wanted to make healthier chicken meatballs that would hold up well as a slider, so I used one half white meat ground chicken and one half chicken sausage. The result was incredibly flavorful but light. I used whole wheat buns and topped the burgers with a little bit of provolone and a crispy prosciutto slice.

At the store, I let Craig pick which type of fries he wanted with the sliders. Of course, he goes for the Spicy Sweet Potato Fries. They turned out to be super delicious. The sweetness of the potato worked really well with spicy chipotle pepper. They were a great compliment to the sliders. I was also thrilled with the nutrition info. A serving of 30 fries has only 130 calories. This made me VERY happy.

So all and all, this burgers & fries indulgence turned into a really quick and light weeknight meal.


Read more for the full recipe!


Ingredients:
Meatballs: makes 8 slider sized meatballs
1/2lb white meat ground chicken (turkey is ok too)
1/2lb italian chicken sausage, casings removed
1 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
salt & pepper to taste

Sliders: makes 8 sliders
8 whole wheat slider buns
4 1 oz slices of provolone cheese, cut in half
4 large slices of prosciutto, cut in half
8oz homemade pasta sauce
Toothpicks



Step by Step Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 375
2. Mix together meatball ingredients, using hands to lightly combine
3. Form 8 meatballs - size should be somewhere between a golf ball and a tennis ball
4. Bake meatballs for 10-12 minutes, until slightly browned
5. In a sauce pot, add pasta sauce, coat meatballs with sauce, cover and simmer on low heat
6. Toast buns in toaster or oven
7. Lay prosciutto slices on a foil lined cookie sheet. Bake for 3-5 minutes, until crisp
8. Assemble burgers: place meatball on bun, top with provolone slice and prosciutto slice and then cover and secure with a toothpick.


Labels: , , , , ,

16 Comments:

At February 29, 2012 at 8:51 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks delicious! I love sweet potato fries, but I've never had frozen ones.

 
At February 29, 2012 at 9:08 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I have some sweet potatoes in my fridge just waiting to be turned in to these lovely fries! Can't wait! Thanks for sharing :)

 
At February 29, 2012 at 9:38 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everything looks delicious! I'm glad you enjoyed the fries!

 
At February 29, 2012 at 9:41 PM , Blogger Stephanie said...

Wow, I can't believe that 30 fries only have 130 calories - that's awesome! They look like they have the perfect texture and consistency that fries should have, too. Yum!

 
At March 1, 2012 at 1:13 AM , Blogger Tiffany the Dietitian said...

Sweet potato fries are purely amazing. This meal looks SO yummy :)

 
At March 1, 2012 at 5:59 AM , Blogger Baker Street said...

Mmmm... I love sweet potato fries.

 
At March 1, 2012 at 6:44 AM , Blogger TinaRBK said...

Sliders are something I find hard to resist and the fact that these are italian makes them even better. Your pairing with the sweet potato fries are great. I wish my husband liked sweet potatoes! Delicious post!

 
At March 1, 2012 at 10:26 AM , Blogger Helene Dsouza said...

ah it looks wonderful, mouth watering! I wish I could have this NOW. XD
thx for sharing!

 
At March 1, 2012 at 12:52 PM , Blogger Katherine said...

I also love fries of any kind! In fact, potatoes in any form :-) These sliders look amazing as well - what a fun spin on them!

 
At March 1, 2012 at 1:02 PM , Blogger Erin said...

Oh yum! This looks absolutely delicious! Love the sweet potato fries with it.

 
At March 1, 2012 at 6:16 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Those look good! Both the plump burgers and the awesome fries!

 
At March 1, 2012 at 9:28 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Wow the chicken meatball looks so moist and is that prochiuto?Yummm.. since having a chance to try Alexia sweet potato fries last year at the Foodbuzz festival, I couldn't stop thinking about it. I just love love love the fries. If only our local supermarkets carry them here. I have not seen any yet though. Sad :(. Btw, THANKS for buzzing me over at my blog too. Appreciate it!! Have a good weekend. Huggsss, Jo

 
At March 1, 2012 at 10:43 PM , Blogger Sweet and Salty SF said...

I love sweet potato fries and am also loving the low calories for a decent size serving. Your sliders look delicious and healthy - double bonus! I've never had crisp prosciutto on a burger before, but it sounds delightful!

 
At March 2, 2012 at 11:42 AM , Blogger Kristina said...

Ooo yum! I want this for dinner tonight! I'm obsessed with sweet potato fries! I always have a bag of them frozen in my freezer... and of course lots and lots of ketchup :)

 
At March 5, 2012 at 2:28 PM , Blogger Jennifer Kendall said...

seth and i are drooling over this pic...this meal looks so fun and delicious!

 
At April 23, 2012 at 10:53 AM , Blogger Monica said...

Excellent!!!! We loved the Italian Chicken Meatballs and the sauce. This one is certainly a keeper. catering bristol

 

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means so much to me. Please let me know if you have questions about any of my recipes or if I forgot a step. Also, is there something you would like me to cook or a recipe to makeover? Let me know!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home