Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Broccoli Quinoa Pilaf



I am always preaching my love of quinoa to anyone who will listen, but I recently realized I haven't featured that many quinoa recipes lately. I usually cook up a huge batch and just eat it with some veggies and a sprinkle of salad dressing. I wanted to put together a tasty, quick way to enjoy this versatile grain.

Enter broccoli. Did I mention I've been on a huge broccoli kick? After being ambivalent about it for months, I'm suddenly obsessed with adding it to everything. Since I was a little kid I've always been a bit weird about broccoli stalks. I always eat only the "leaves" and not the "stems." This recipe integrates the vitamin and fiber rich stems and I didn't even notice them! Just shred up some broccoli and cook with onion, quinoa and some vegetable broth. The result is a creamy and filling side dish that is super healthy. Best part: it takes only 15 minutes to prepare!

Read more for the full recipe


Ingredients:
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, finely diced
1 medium head of broccoli (approx 1lb), cut into florets and washed
1 cup quinoa, dry
2 1/4 cup low sodium vegetable broth
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp paprika
1/4 cup slivered almonds

Step by Step Instructions:
1. In a medium saucepan, saute onion on medium heat in olive oil 3-4 minutes
2. Using a food processor, shred broccoli florets and stems (or finely dice with a knife)
3. Add broccoli to pan and toss with onion and olive oil
4. Add quinoa, veggie broth, pepper and paprika
5. Cover and bring to a boil
6. Reduce to medium heat and simmer for 10 minutes, until liquid is absorbed
7. Serve with optional slivered almonds


23 Comments:

At February 7, 2012 at 9:43 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds fantastic! :)

 
At February 7, 2012 at 10:17 PM , Blogger Kim Bee said...

Oh yum, quinoa and broccoli must taste fab together. Looks so inviting.

 
At February 7, 2012 at 10:24 PM , Blogger Yummy said...

Delicious and healthy dish!

 
At February 7, 2012 at 10:49 PM , Blogger Christine's Pantry said...

Sounds great.

 
At February 7, 2012 at 11:22 PM , Blogger Maggie said...

I am quinoa crazy these days! What an amazing grain. I am always looking for new ways to make quinoa and this will definitely go into my queue. And actually, I could eat this as a whole meal and not just a side (you know, if my husband would only consider that a meal).

 
At February 7, 2012 at 11:59 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss pilaf! This looks like an amazing version, how fluffy and delicious it would be!

 
At February 8, 2012 at 8:48 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I pretty much love quinoa! It is my favorite. I could literally eat it everyday. It is so delicious really.

 
At February 8, 2012 at 9:42 AM , Blogger Suzi said...

Sounds delicious. Next up on my to make list.

 
At February 8, 2012 at 12:10 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I have to try cooking with quinoa! It seems to be the last craze and yours looks very good. I'll have to go buy some!

 
At February 8, 2012 at 12:59 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I have quinoa, I have broccoli, I have everything else.......*running to the kitchen*

 
At February 8, 2012 at 2:09 PM , Blogger Sweet and Salty SF said...

I've always been a little intimidated by cooking quinoa. Perhaps b/c it took me way too long to figure out how to pronounce it correctly ;) But your simple recipe inspires me to try it out! Thanks for featuring it!

 
At February 9, 2012 at 1:45 AM , Blogger Stephie said...

I've been on a huge quinoa kick recently, too! I've got some ideas for quinoa risotto knocking around in my head that I can't wait to try. Yum.

 
At February 9, 2012 at 6:01 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love broccoli and I love quinoa - so this seems like a no brainer for me to try! Congrats on top 9 :-)

 
At February 9, 2012 at 10:19 AM , Blogger Jefferson's Table said...

Your blog is so much fun! We do love broccoli and we are luke warm about quinoa? We will give it a try. Congratulations on Top 9!!!

 
At February 9, 2012 at 12:41 PM , Blogger The Black Peppercorn said...

I am also a huge fan of quinoa! Healthy and versatile. You can do so much with it!

 
At February 10, 2012 at 3:11 PM , Blogger Jennifer Kendall said...

we haven't yet tried quinoa, but this sounds so delicious that we will definitely be trying this soon!

 
At February 13, 2012 at 9:49 AM , Blogger Daphne Elliot said...

NO worries. This dish would be lovely with some whole wheat couscous or barley as well.

 
At February 13, 2012 at 10:15 PM , Blogger Jenn @ Peas and Crayons said...

omg I would devour this!!! I've been quinoa obsessed lately! =)

 
At February 23, 2012 at 3:06 AM , Blogger Purabi Naha said...

The way you photographed the pilaf makes it so droolworthy! This looks like something I must try out, very unique indeed. http://cosmopolitancurrymania.blogspot.com

 
At March 28, 2012 at 12:25 AM , Blogger Amalia said...

I love both broccoli and quinoa and I think this is such a great meal! It's healthy, fresh, and I'm sure really delicious! Fabulous recipe :)

 
At March 28, 2012 at 9:49 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great idea! I never thought of putting broccoli and quinoa together!

 
At April 9, 2012 at 8:05 AM , Blogger Jayanthy Kumaran said...

very delicious & tempting
first time here..lovely space you have
happy following you..:)
do stop by mine sometime..

Tasty Appetite

 
At April 11, 2012 at 11:05 AM , Blogger TinaRBK said...

This dish looks so fluffy and delicious! Quinoa and broccoli do make a great pairing and I like how this is lightly seasoned. I would have to have a second helping of this when it is presented. Delicious post!

 

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means so much to me. Please let me know if you have questions about any of my recipes or if I forgot a step. Also, is there something you would like me to cook or a recipe to makeover? Let me know!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home