Monday, January 9, 2012

Pomegranate Wild Rice Pilaf


I don't need to tell you pomegranates are incredibly healthy and filled with all kinds of amazing vitamins and minerals. One of my favorite things about winter is the abundance of pomegranates at the store. After dinner, Craig and I usually split one while watching TV. I love picking out the sweet and tart seeds and how stained my fingers get. After picking up a few at the store, I decided to use them to perk up some high fiber wild rice. This dish is super simple. Just toss wild rice with pomegranate seeds, chopped pistachios and a bit of red onion and you have a tangy and flavorful side dish that is filled with cholesterol lowering fiber and cancer fighting antioxidants. Tossing the toppings with the hot rice slightly 'cooks' the onion. But if you are not a fan of raw onion you can omit it.


Read more for the full recipe!



Ingredients:
1 cup of wild rice, dry
3/4 cup pomegranate seeds (approx 1 medium pomegranate)
1/4 cup pistachios, chopped
1/2 cup red onion, finely diced
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp black pepper


Step by Step Instructions:
1. Cook rice according to package directions
2. Toss together seeds, pistachios, onion, vinegar, oil and pepper
3. Stir in hot cooked rice
4. Toss thoroughly
5. Serve!!

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

At January 9, 2012 at 10:23 PM , Blogger Kelly | Eat Yourself Skinny said...

What a gorgeous dish, this looks amazing! :)

 
At January 10, 2012 at 12:51 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

These are all my favorite ingredients in one amazing bowl. LOVE.

 
At January 10, 2012 at 12:51 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

These are all my favorite ingredients in one amazing bowl. LOVE.

 
At January 10, 2012 at 12:57 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the pomegranate! What a great idea to use it in rice.

 
At January 10, 2012 at 7:55 AM , Blogger Nava K said...

I am like a number fan of rice but sure your recipe is new to me but sure very creative. What a wonderful combo pomegranate with a wonderful outcome.

 
At January 10, 2012 at 8:38 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmm, I love rice pilaf! The use of pistachios in this makes me want to try this immediately! I love the colors in this dish :)

 
At January 10, 2012 at 9:49 AM , Blogger Suzi said...

Wonderful combination to go with the wild rice. Delicious.

 
At January 10, 2012 at 2:12 PM , Blogger The Three Little Piglets said...

That looks so colorful and full of flavor! The perfect way to start the new year without feeling like you have to sacrifice flavor for healthy.

 
At January 11, 2012 at 3:20 PM , Blogger Jim said...

Are the pistachios you use raw or roasted/salted?

Jim

 
At January 12, 2012 at 4:56 PM , Blogger Daphne Elliot said...

Jim - I used raw pistachios. If you only have roasted those will work, but will increase the sodium content of the dish

 
At January 14, 2012 at 3:28 PM , Blogger The Mistress of Spices said...

This sounds delicious and looks gorgeous! I love both pomegranates and wild rice, so I'm sure that they make for a winning combination.

 

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means so much to me. Please let me know if you have questions about any of my recipes or if I forgot a step. Also, is there something you would like me to cook or a recipe to makeover? Let me know!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home