Sunday, January 29, 2012

Winter Greens with Butternut Squash


This weekend, Craig's family came over for dinner. It is always such a treat for me to have guests to cook for. I was thinking of trying out some new recipes I've been working on, but instead Craig begged me to make some yummy Italian comfort food. He really wanted bracciole, and since it's a great dish to enjoy with guests, I agreed. Of course, this was not enough for Craig, who insisted I make four different types of meat and pasta.

As you can imagine, this was shaping up to be a very heavy meal. I decided to throw together a new salad that takes advantage of some of the tasty winter produce available right now. I wanted lots of healthy greens and added butternut squash "croutons" that I roasted in the oven. I added toasted pine nuts and a light drizzle of balsamic vinegar and olive oil. This is a salad that barely needs dressing. The sweet creamy squash compliments tart greens. It is a healthy compliment to any meal.

Here is the full menu:
Winter greens and butternut squash salad
Iggy's Ficelle bread
Bracciole
Meatballs
Braised Short Ribs
Italian Sausage
Homemade Pasta Sauce
Penne
Ricotta Pie

As you can see, it was a very filling meal. Thankfully, there were plenty of leftovers so I don't have to cook for a couple of days! I made another batch of this salad tonight for something lighter and I am loving it.

Read more for the full recipe.


Ingredients:
1 medium butternut squash, peeled and seeded
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper
1/4 cup pine nuts
2 cups field greens
1 cup kale or arugula
1 cup frisse
balsamic vinegar
extra virgin olive oil

Step by Step Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 425
2. Slice squash into strips and then chop into 1" cubes
3. Toss squash with olive oil and spread on a cookie sheet
4. Season with salt and pepper to taste
5. Roast for 18-20 minutes, until softened
6. Spread pine nuts on a cookie sheet and toast for 8-10 minutes, until browned
7. Remove squash and pine nuts from oven and cool completely
8. In a mixing bowl, combine greens, squash and pine nuts
9. Divide into 4 bowls and drizzle with oil and vinegar
10. Serve with crusty bread

8 Comments:

At January 29, 2012 at 11:14 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I never had butternut squash in my salad, but judging from your picture and your recipe, the dish actually sounds very good. Will try it.

 
At January 29, 2012 at 11:42 PM , Blogger Christina Kim said...

Love anything with greens in it, and this is just so healthy and delicious!:D

 
At January 30, 2012 at 1:29 AM , Blogger Yummy said...

I love having a ton of leftovers! Such easy dinners and lunches for the next few days. Good call on that delicious salad!

 
At January 30, 2012 at 5:59 AM , Blogger TinaRBK said...

I know you had a full dinner, but I would just love to have this tasty salad for dinner. Great way to use up some butternut squash. It looks so fresh and tasty-great pictures!

 
At January 30, 2012 at 11:53 AM , Blogger The Black Peppercorn said...

Oh my - that menu sounds amazing! I love bracciole - the salad looks great also!

 
At January 30, 2012 at 5:55 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I once made a pumpkin salad that was delicious. I bet yours is even better.

 
At January 30, 2012 at 10:05 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a delicious meal, but what PRETTY salad! Thanks and have a GREAT week!

 
At February 1, 2012 at 6:18 PM , Blogger Cheryl and Adam said...

Sounds like a feast! Roasting is our favorite way to eat butternut squash and your vibrant salad looks remarkably fresh and light.

 

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means so much to me. Please let me know if you have questions about any of my recipes or if I forgot a step. Also, is there something you would like me to cook or a recipe to makeover? Let me know!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home