Monday, January 16, 2012

Lemon Kale Fettuccine


Tonight was one of those throw together a quick dinner night, since I just got back from a whirlwind long weekend visiting my Grandparents in Dallas. I spent a lot of time cooking, eating and catching up with all my relatives and was also able to enjoy a big Patriots win on Saturday! Craig went grocery shopping yesterday and brought home some gorgeous homemade spinach fettuccine. So I was inspired to create this simple, 15 minute dish! Kale, lemon, toasted pine nuts and a bit of garlic combine to make a healthy, filling and super easy pasta. You could top this with chicken to make it a one pot meal or serve it on the side. I added some grated Parmesan and a sprinkle of red pepper flakes.

Recipe and photos after the jump


Ingredients:
1/4 cup pine nuts
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp minced garlic (approx 5-6 cloves)
juice of 1/2 lemon (approx 2 tbsp)
1 tbsp lemon zest
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes + more to taste
3 cups fresh kale, ribs removed, washed and cut into 1" ribbons
1lb fresh or dry fettuccine (I used spinach, but whole wheat or white is fine too)
optional: Parmesan cheese

Step by Step Instructions:


1. Preheat oven to 350

2. Spread pine nuts on a cookie sheet and bake for 5-8 minutes until toasted, keep an eye on these so they don't burn

3. Saute garlic in olive oil on medium heat, 2 minutes

4. Add kale, lemon juice, zest and red pepper flakes, toss to combine

5. Saute kale mixture for 5-7 minutes, until kale wilts

6. Toss with pine nuts

7. Cook pasta according to package directions

8. Toss kale with pasta and serve with Parmesan and a sprinkle of red pepper flakes

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

At January 17, 2012 at 2:02 AM , Blogger Yummy said...

How delicious! I love the color the kale adds to the dish. Very unusual!

 
At January 17, 2012 at 9:06 AM , Blogger Suzi said...

This looks delicious, a lot of times those throw together meals are the best. Quick and easy and healthy.

 
At January 17, 2012 at 9:23 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Looks delicious and I have kale in the fridge. This might be my dinner tonight.

 
At January 17, 2012 at 4:20 PM , Blogger Katie said...

Wow....I've never eaten kale before, but I need to board that train. Like, now!

 
At January 24, 2012 at 1:09 PM , Blogger ER said...

what other pastas can i use this with?

 
At January 24, 2012 at 1:11 PM , Blogger Daphne Elliot said...

You could use anything, really. The light sauce is best suited for spaghetti, linguine or fettuccine - but you could use penne or a small pasta as well.

 

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means so much to me. Please let me know if you have questions about any of my recipes or if I forgot a step. Also, is there something you would like me to cook or a recipe to makeover? Let me know!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home