Thursday, January 26, 2012

Bok Choy Fried Rice


I love coming up with new versions of takeout-style dishes. One of my favorites is throwing together some random ingredients to make fried rice. In the early days of this blog, I featured one of my favorite quick dinner recipes, bok choy fried rice. You can see the original post here. I decided to make it again, with some updates and modifications.

I love this recipe for many reasons, but mostly because it is really quick. This recipe took me a total of 20  minutes to make, start to finish. It's packed with a ton of veggies, lean protein and fiber.

Read more for the full recipe!


Ingredients:
2 cups cooked short grain brown rice (preferably day old)
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 lb skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 1" chunks
1 medium onion, sliced
3-4 carrots, shredded or finely diced
2 heads of baby bok choy, washed and chopped crosswise into 1/2" strips
1/4 cup raw almonds, crushed
1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
1 tsp sriracha sauce
1 tsp honey
1 tsp chili oil (can use sesame oil as well)




Step by Step Instructions:


1. In a large frying pan or wok, saute onions 2-3 minutes

2. Add chicken chunks and brown for 3 minutes on each side

3. Remove chicken from pan and set aside

4. Add carrots and bok choy to pan, stir fry for 4-5 minutes on medium heat until slightly wilted

5. Whisk together soy sauce, sriracha, honey and oil

6. Add chicken and rice to the pan, turn heat up to med-high and stir fry for 3-4 minutes, making sure
nothing sticks to the bottom of the pan

7. Stir in sauce and toss thoroughly, keep warm on a low temp until you're ready to serve

8. Top with crushed or sliced almonds and serve.

Labels: , , , ,

7 Comments:

At January 26, 2012 at 11:18 PM , Blogger Balvinder said...

There are lot of flavours going in here. love take out style rice recipes.

 
At January 27, 2012 at 12:28 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Yum! I love fried rice!

 
At January 27, 2012 at 12:40 AM , Blogger Kim Bee said...

Um, er, ah, drools all over the place!

 
At January 27, 2012 at 8:28 AM , Blogger Yummy said...

I love any variation of fried rice. Yours looks delicious!

 
At January 27, 2012 at 11:14 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow that looks delicious! I'm a fan of fried rice and this is just perfect! Your photos are terrific, Dara!

 
At January 28, 2012 at 9:37 PM , Blogger Jayanthy Kumaran said...

looks very inviting..yumm
happy following you..;)
check out mine sometime..
Tasty Appetite

 
At February 7, 2012 at 10:09 AM , Blogger Jennifer Kendall said...

ooh...i have some bok choy to use up, i'll have to use it in this! thanks for sharing!

 

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means so much to me. Please let me know if you have questions about any of my recipes or if I forgot a step. Also, is there something you would like me to cook or a recipe to makeover? Let me know!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home