Monday, January 23, 2012

Apple Curry Couscous


Yikes! I haven't posted in almost a week. It's amazing how busy January has been. Usually I pace around the house complaining about having nothing to do this time of year. Since we got Archer every weekend is a blur of puppy kindergarten, vets appointments and constant trips to the pet store to buy more food and treats. I really think he is the world's most spoiled puppy!

Anyway, the theme of the week is quick and easy. Tasty dishes that take minutes to prepare. Since I love cooking, I don't mind spending a little extra time preparing dinner every night, but I also like to challenge myself to see how quickly I can throw some things together. So tonight we have Apple Curry Couscous, a simple 10 minute side dish that is spicy, flavorful and packed with filling fiber.

Whole wheat couscous is a quick and easy side dish that is packed with fiber and protein. While there are many ways to enjoy couscous, I wanted to combine it with tart, crunch apples for a tasty salad. I've seen many variations of this type of recipe, most recently at 101 Cookbooks, and I knew I had to create a version. I added dried apricots and was delighted with the result. The sweetness of the apricots is a perfect compliment to the heat of the curry. I think I will serve this over some field greens for lunch tomorrow and maybe throw in some chickpeas to make it a complete meal.

Read more for the full recipe!



Ingredients:
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 cup whole wheat couscous, dry
1 medium apple, washed, cored and diced
1/4 cup dried apricots, chopped (approx 6-7)
1/2 medium red onion, diced
1 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp ground corriander




Step by Step Instructions:
1. Saute apple and onion in olive oil on medium heat, 4-5 minutes

2. Remove apple and onion from pan

3. Add 1 1/4 cups water and curry powder to the pot, bring to a boil

4. Remove from heat, stir in couscous and cover

5. Allow couscous to sit for 5 minutes

6. Fluff couscous with a fork and stir in apples and onions

7. Add apricots, cayenne and corriander, toss thoroughly

8. Serve!



And, because I can't resist posting photos of the cuteness! He does need a haircut though!


20 Comments:

At January 23, 2012 at 9:55 PM , Blogger Yummy said...

Aw! He's so cute! And, what a great idea to make the couscous with apple and curry. I always thought of couscous as strictly savory.

 
At January 23, 2012 at 10:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This looks amazing! I love couscous! Archer is adorable and I can imagine it's difficult not to sit on the floor and play with him 24/7!

 
At January 23, 2012 at 10:52 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

What an interesting cous cous. And archer is very cute!

 
At January 23, 2012 at 11:44 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Interesting combination of couscous and apple, I bet it tastes good :) And your lovely dog is so cute....

 
At January 24, 2012 at 2:03 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

this looks so yummy! and your doggy is adorable :) I wouldn't be able to resist posting either!

 
At January 24, 2012 at 2:04 PM , Blogger Choc Chip Uru @ Go Bake Yourself said...

This looks both exotic and delicious - a wonderfully healthy combination!
Lovely blog :)

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru @ Go Bake Yourself
Latest: Elvis Oreo Black Bottom Cupcakes

 
At January 24, 2012 at 2:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This looks fanastic! I love couscous, and have never tried a sweet and curried version. Definitely goes on my to do list :)

 
At January 24, 2012 at 3:04 PM , Blogger Maggie said...

What a cutie patootie dog you have! No wonder he is spoiled rotten! :-)
This couscous is definitely the perfect week night dish. I love adding fruit to curried dishes and the apples would definitely add a delightful crunch. yum!!

 
At January 24, 2012 at 3:29 PM , Blogger Ana Helena said...

Love your refreshing dish. It's making me hungry! Thanks for sharing!

 
At January 24, 2012 at 3:41 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is so inventive. I can almost taste it. Great recipe.

 
At January 25, 2012 at 1:57 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on FoodBuzz's Top 9!

 
At January 25, 2012 at 9:52 AM , Blogger Suzi said...

Very interesting dish, it sounds delicious. Like the dried apricots in ther too. Congrats on the Top 9.

 
At January 25, 2012 at 11:13 AM , Blogger Colette (Coco) said...

What a gorgeous combination! I've gotta try it. And I see you, too, have a cute li'l furry sous chef. :)

 
At January 25, 2012 at 11:30 AM , Blogger lishapisa said...

This looks and sounds sooooo tasty!
Perfect with pork chops and that will be my next dish with some kale on the side.
curry cous cous with the sweetness of the fruits BRILLANT!
thank you!
Lisa
Cookng Sisters

 
At January 25, 2012 at 1:32 PM , Blogger alyce@culinarythymes.com said...

Yummy.

 
At January 25, 2012 at 10:13 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Will have to give this a try.

 
At January 26, 2012 at 12:10 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on Top 9 with this amazing dish...well deserved!

 
At January 26, 2012 at 11:32 PM , Blogger Cheryl and Adam said...

The crunchy apples are a perfect texture to set of the couscous. We love couscous and eat if often, it's such a versatile grain. This will definitely be an upcoming side dish!

 
At February 5, 2012 at 2:28 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your apple couscous looks fantastic! (And, despite needing a haircut, the pup is adorable too!) Thank you for sharing the recipe!

 
At June 11, 2012 at 12:36 AM , Blogger SkinnySimpleRecipes said...

Couscous absorb perfecly flavors...I'm sure this Apple Curry Couscous will taste great. Thanks for sharing

 

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means so much to me. Please let me know if you have questions about any of my recipes or if I forgot a step. Also, is there something you would like me to cook or a recipe to makeover? Let me know!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home