Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Moroccan Couscous Salad


Since my internet connection has been so shaky, I decided to take advantage of it tonight and put up a couple of posts. This is my first attempt at Moroccan cuisine. I had found some whole wheat Israeli couscous at the store and wanted to make a spicy, zesty cold salad with it. Incorporating traditional Moroccan spices and ingredients such as Turkish apricots and pistachios, this salad is an incredibly filling and unique meal. The flavoring is intense. So much so, that after mixing the salad, you should carefully sprinkle in the spice mix slowly until you reach a desired level of intensity. It is a filling vegetarian meal as well as an exciting side dish with grilled meat or fish. It is also quick and simple to prepare and will last 2-3 days in the fridge.

Read more for the full recipe.

Ingredients:
1 cup whole wheat couscous (Israeli or regular is fine)
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 scallions, washed and sliced
1 cup dried apricots, diced
1/2 cup pistachios, shelled and roughly chopped
juice of 1 lemon
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
1/2 cup parsley, washed
1 tbsp black pepper
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp tumeric
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp cardamom
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground ginger

Step by Step Instructions:
1. Cook couscous according to package directions, refrigerate
2. Mix spices together in a small bowl, set aside
3. Mix scallions, chopped apricots and chopped pistachios together, set aside
4. In a food processor, puree parsley, vinegar, and olive oil
5. Mix couscous, scallion mix and dressing together
6. Sprinkle spices into salad, 1/2 tsp at a time, to reach your desired level of spice
7. Refrigerate for 20 minutes or up to 1 hour
8. Serve


Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At August 19, 2011 at 1:50 AM , Blogger myfudo said...

Wow, an Israeli couscous? it looks healthy and appetizing. I must try it.

 
At August 19, 2011 at 10:27 AM , Anonymous Kelli @ The Corner Kitchen said...

Yum....this sounds (and looks) delicious!!

 
At April 16, 2012 at 9:26 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found this recipe on pinterest and it looks so yummy! I like how you mix couscous and chickpeas for a filling salad. Can't wait to try!

 

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means so much to me. Please let me know if you have questions about any of my recipes or if I forgot a step. Also, is there something you would like me to cook or a recipe to makeover? Let me know!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home