I looooove calamari! One of my favorite types of seafood, squid is low in calories and high in protein. It is a great addition to many dishes. Although most people only enjoy calamari deep fried, there are many healthy ways to enjoy it. This salad is a quick and simple way to throw together a flavorful and impressive dish.
The secret to tasty calamari is how long you cook it. Strangely enough, you can either cook it very briefly or for a long time. For example, cooking the calamari for longer than 60-90 seconds will result in it being too rubbery. However, if you keep cooking it for 30 minutes, it will taste great. The key to this dish is to flash fry the calamari. Get your olive oil and garlic really really hot and then just throw it in for 60 seconds. As soon as the edges begin to get opaque, take it off and throw it in the fridge. This is essential. Since it's perfectly safe to eat raw, you don't have to worry about cooking it through. Just a flash will keep it tender and tasty.
In this dish, the calamari is tossed with a ton of fresh veggies and flavored with fresh lemon and herbs. It is simple, tasty and takes literally 10 minutes to put together. Throw the whole thing in the refrigerator for 15 minutes and you are good to go. The longer you let it sit, the more flavorful the salad will be.
Full recipe and photos after the jump!
1/2 lb squid, cleaned and cut into 1" rings
1 cup grape tomatoes, sliced in half
2 ribs celery, sliced into 1/4" chunks
1/2 cup red onion, sliced thinly
1/2 cup Greek olives, sliced
2 tbsp fresh flat leaf parsley, washed and chopped
2 tbsp fresh basil, washed and chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium lemon, juiced
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
Step by Step Instructions:
1. In a medium pan, brown garlic and 1 tbsp olive oil for 1 minute
2. Add chopped squid and cook for 1 MINUTE, stirring frequently. Squid is done when it starts to become opaque
3. Take squid off stove, and transfer to heat proof bowl, refrigerate
4. Toss tomatoes, celery, onion, olives and herbs together
5. Whisk 1 tbsp oil, vinegar and lemon juice together
6. Combine squid, vegetables and dressing, mix thoroughly
7. Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes and serve