Sunday, July 17, 2011

Healthy Peanut Butter Cookies


These cookies contain no butter and no sugar! Instead they are filled with fiber, protein and the natural sweetness of dates! Instead of sugar, honey or splenda, I decided to make my own natural sweetener. Dates are a sweet and delicious snack. But ground into sugar or a syrup, they make a great sugar alternative in your favorite desserts. These cookies have a slightly cakey texture, but are filling and tasty, while lower in calories than your average peanut butter cookie. Each cookie has only 139 calories and is extremely filling, thanks to the fiber rich oat bran. These work well for dessert or a pre-workout snack. This recipe makes 18 cookies.

Read more for the full recipe.

Ingredients:
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/4 cup oat bran
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup date paste (see below)
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1/2 cup natural peanut putter (unsalted is best)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp vanilla extract

Date Syrup Recipe:
1 8oz bag of dried dates
1 cup water
In a food processor, blend dates and water until it forms a thick soupy syrup




Step by Step Instructions:


1. Preheat oven to 350

2. Mix dry ingredients (flour, bran, baking powder, soda, salt)

3. Mix wet ingredients (PB, date paste, eggs, olive oil, vanilla)

4. Fold dry ingredients into wet with a spatula, do not over mix

5. Freeze dough for 10-15 minutes

6. Scoop 1.5 tbsp size balls of dough onto greased cookie sheet

7. Space cookies about 2-3" apart

8. Bake in center rack for 9 minutes and then cool

9. Serve with milk


Nutritional Info: per cookie
139 calories
4.5 g protein
3.6g fiber

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

At July 18, 2011 at 6:55 AM , Blogger Medeja- CranberryJam said...

Sounds really healthy and delicious!

 
At July 18, 2011 at 11:19 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those sound amazing! I love the idea of a healthy, fiber filled cookie! I thank you, my waistline thanks you and my doctor thanks you! I am going to enjoy making these!

 
At July 18, 2011 at 11:31 AM , Anonymous purabi naha said...

These cookies look so different, a healthy option really! I loved the date syrup!

 
At July 22, 2011 at 9:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just made these cookies and can't wait to try them. Any other uses of the date paste?

 
At July 26, 2011 at 1:33 PM , Anonymous Tiffany said...

is it possible to make them flourless and eggless? The date paste seems like it'll hold the cookies together.

 
At August 1, 2011 at 5:28 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yum, peanut butter!

 
At August 3, 2011 at 9:51 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tiffany, I've used 1/4 cup apple sauce in place of an egg in many recipes and it's worked well. Haven't tried it with this one though

 
At August 20, 2011 at 7:25 PM , Blogger ToniK said...

I can't wait to try this recipe, and I think I am going to use the rest of the date paste in place of honey in a whole wheat pumpkin bread recipe I have. I wonder if it would work to only use the egg white? I think I will try and find out.

 

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means so much to me. Please let me know if you have questions about any of my recipes or if I forgot a step. Also, is there something you would like me to cook or a recipe to makeover? Let me know!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home