Monday, August 8, 2011

Sweet Potato Gnocchi with Walnuts


I'm back! We moved into our new apartment this weekend and I LOVE my new kitchen. I am already getting inspired to create all kinds of tasty goodies over the next few weeks. Best of all, it has a ton of storage space, which means I can finally get some cool kitchen gadgets.

Since moving to Somerville from Boston, we had to find a new grocery store. We found a gigantic Whole Foods that has every tasty food on the planet. I saw some homemade fresh sweet potato gnocchi and had to try them. I plan on making these at home soon, but for now, the store bought ones were delicious. Good gnocchi should be light, fluffy pillows and these were perfect. I decided to compliment the sweet potato with some crunchy walnuts and tangy garlic. Instead of drowning them in butter, I used just a bit of olive oil. Some fresh basil from my new mini herb garden (!) finishes off the dish. If you can't find these fresh, there are also a few brands that sell them frozen. I am hoping to start making my own soon. Craig and I were fighting over the leftover of this dish, it was so light and delicious. The best part is it only took 10 minutes to make, start to finish. The ultimate quickie dinner.

Read more for the full recipe

Ingredients:
1lb fresh or frozen sweet potato gnocchi
4 tbsp chopped raw walnuts
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp red pepper flakes
parmesan cheese
fresh basil

Step by Step Instructions:
1. Cook gnocchi according to package directions

2. Sautee garlic and red pepper in olive oil for 2-3 minutes until the garlic begins to brown



3. Add walnuts and toss with garlic oil mixture and brown on med-low for 3 min

4. Add cooked gnocchi and toss with mixture, coating thoroughly

5. Brown gnocchi on low heat for 2-4 minutes

6. Serve topped with parmesan and fresh basil ribbons

Makes 4-6 servings, depending on how hungry you are!


Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At August 9, 2011 at 8:06 AM , Blogger Colleen said...

These look like little delicious gnocchi munchkins!! I always sort of think of gnocchi as a fall/winter dish (why, I have no idea), but this seems so light and fresh and perfect for summer! This is going into the recipe box asap! I am sure your littlest foodie fans will enjoy (warm, tasty and can be shoveled in by their little hands!)

 

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means so much to me. Please let me know if you have questions about any of my recipes or if I forgot a step. Also, is there something you would like me to cook or a recipe to makeover? Let me know!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home