Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Tomato and Fennel Salad


Craig is away on a business trip tonight so I seized the opportunity to make something with fresh tomatoes, since he hates them. I wanted to take advantage of all the tomatoes and herbs available right now and build a healthy salad with a lot of flavor courtesy of some crisp and spicy fennel. And my awesome grandma just sent me a mandolin for my birthday. I have been itching to use it. I got the most amazing paper-thin slices with it. Stay tuned for more mandolin adventures!

This is a great starter or a main course, since the chickpeas add both protein and fiber to the dish. You can also serve it with some arugula or kale if you want to add greens. I threw in some baby bok choy because I love it and had it in the fridge. The dressing is so simple, lemon juice, olive oil and garlic with some fresh parsley.

Read more for the full recipe!

Ingredients: (serves 4 as appetizer, 2 as main course)
1 can of chickpeas, rinsed
1 fennel bulb, washed and sliced thinly (I used my new mandoline)
2 tbsp fresh parsley, washed and chopped
juice of 1/2 lemon
2 cloves of garlic
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
5-6 medium tomatoes (use any variety you like), sliced into wedges or chunks
1 head of baby bok choy, washed and sliced into 1/2" chunks

Step by Step Instructions:
1. In a food processor, puree garlic, oil, lemon juice and parsley
2. Toss chopped tomatoes with chickpeas and sliced fennel
3. Add chopped and washed fennel greens (optional)
4. Toss with dressing and serve immediately

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means so much to me. Please let me know if you have questions about any of my recipes or if I forgot a step. Also, is there something you would like me to cook or a recipe to makeover? Let me know!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home