Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Fish Tacos


Fish tacos are one of my all time favorite restaurant treats. This recipe is a lighter, homemade version with tons of flavor and far fewer calories. Instead of frying the fish, I grilled whole tilapia filets in my cast iron skillet and topped with some crispy pickled cabbage and creamy guacamole. This recipe will yield extra guac that you can eat with chips or your favorite veggies.
Read more for the full recipe!



Ingredients: makes 6 tacos

Fish Tacos:
1lb tilapia filets, rinsed and patted dry
6 whole wheat tortillas (7" diameter)
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp sea salt

Pickled Cabbage:
2 cups red cabbage, shredded
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt

Guacamole:
2 ripe avacados
juice of 1 lime
2 garlic cloves
2 tbsp fresh cilantro, washed (or 1 tbsp dried)
1 jalepeno pepper, washed and seeded
optional: 1 tbsp hot sauce

Step by Step Instructions:


1. In a mixing bowl, combine vinegar, salt and sugar and stir until disolved

2. Mix in red cabbage and coat thoroughly

3. Cover and refridgerate for 30-45 minutes


4. In a food processor, chop jalepeno, garlic, cilantro and lime juice

5. Mash avocado and add jalepeno mixture, combine

6. Cover guacamole with plastic wrap and set aside

7. Season fish and grill on medium heat for 2 minutes on each side

8. In a tortilla, add 1/2 tilapia filet, 1/3 cup of cabbage and 1-2 tbsp of guacamole

9. Serve with lime wedges

Nutrition Info: 1 taco
363 Calories
21g protein
9.2g fiber

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At August 25, 2011 at 4:42 AM , Blogger Christine knapkins_com said...

Hi Dara,

Great fish tacos! Lovin it :) Just leaving a quick hi and hello. Can't wait to see your food duels online... Woot Woot!

Cheers,

Christine

PS: mini nudge, maybe Avocado rather than Avacados

 
At August 30, 2011 at 7:35 PM , Anonymous Kelly @ Free Spirit Food said...

Yum! I love fish tacos and I never knew they were so easy to make.

 

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means so much to me. Please let me know if you have questions about any of my recipes or if I forgot a step. Also, is there something you would like me to cook or a recipe to makeover? Let me know!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home