Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Orzo with Artichoke Hearts and Peas



Orzo is a small, rice shaped pasta. Whole wheat orzo is higher in both protein and fiber than brown rice and cooks in less than 10 minutes! This quick dinner highlights fresh spring produce and can be put together quickly and easily. It can be served hot or cold. Use this as a main dish or a healthy side at your next barbecue.
Read more for the full recipe!


Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes

Ingredients:
1/2 lb dry whole wheat orzo pasta
1 cup fresh English peas, washed
1 cup artichoke hearts, washed and chopped (fresh, canned or frozen)
1 medium shallot, minced
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1/2 lemon, juiced
1 cup low sodium chicken broth (or veggie)
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped (or 1 tbsp dried)
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp black pepper
parmesan cheese (optional)

Step by Step Instructions:
1. Cook orzo according to package directions

2. Sautee shallot and onion in olive oil on medium heat until soft, 3-4 minutes

3. Add artichoke hearts, reduce to low heat and saute 2-3 mintues

4. Add peas and saute another 2 minutes

5. Add broth, basil, salt and pepper and simmer on low for 5 minutes

6. Toss with cooked orzo

7. Serve with parmesan cheese

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At August 17, 2014 at 4:16 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I just made this and it is so good! I'm eating it warm but I think will be great served cold.
I didn't see in the step by step instructions when to add the lemon juice, so I added it along with the broth.
Great recipe! Will definitely make this again, yum! Thanks! :)

 

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means so much to me. Please let me know if you have questions about any of my recipes or if I forgot a step. Also, is there something you would like me to cook or a recipe to makeover? Let me know!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home