Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Frisee Salad with Bacon


I love all the lettuce varieties that are starting to show up in the grocery store. I saw some frisee yesterday and decided to put together a tasty salad that highlights its peppery taste. I wanted to create a hearty meal, so I added some applewood smoked bacon and roasted potatoes. Craig called this a "man salad" because of these filling and substantial ingredients. Despite the meat and potatoes, the frisee remains light and crisp. A simple shallot vinaigrette adds a bit of a kick. Dress the salad minimally, it is intended only to compliment the flavors. This recipe has a few more steps than the salads I usually make, but it is absolutely worth it.

Read more for the full recipe

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes

Ingredients:
(make 4 servings)
6 cups frisee, washed and torn (approx 2-3 heads)
1/2lb red potatoes, washed and chopped into 1" chunks
1/4lb bacon, chopped into 1/2" chunks
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
2 tbsp shallots, minced
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 tsp dijon mustard
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp hungarian paprika

Step by Step Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 350

2. Toss potatoes with 1 tbsp oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder and paprika

3. Roast potatoes for 25-30 minutes, until crisp

4. In a small skillet, saute bacon on medium heat until crisp, 4-5 minutes

5. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon

6. Turn off heat and add shallot to bacon fat in pan, allow to soften 3 minutes

7. In a small bowl, whisk shallot with bacon fat, vinegar and mustard together

8. Slowly pour in 1 tbsp olive oil and continue to whisk until emulsified

9. Toss frisse, potatoes and bacon and plate, drizzle with dressing

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At June 14, 2011 at 3:22 PM , Anonymous RavieNomNoms said...

That looks like a great salad!

 

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means so much to me. Please let me know if you have questions about any of my recipes or if I forgot a step. Also, is there something you would like me to cook or a recipe to makeover? Let me know!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home