Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Superfood Facts: Barley




Since ancient times, barley has been a staple of food and drink. The earliest evidence of wild barley is believed to date back to 8500 BC. It is also believed that barley beer was the first drink developed by Neolithic humans. Over the years, the health benefits of barley have been widely studied and documented. In addition to fiber, vitamins and antioxidants, it cooks quickly and can be used in a huge variety of dishes. 

Read more after the jump
  • Barley is an excellent source of fiber and also provides food for the good bacteria in the large intestine
  • The fiber in barley is high in beta glucan, which helps to lower cholesterol. 
  • Barley is high in niacin, which reduces risk factors for cardiovascular disease. 
  • It is also a great source of magnesium, which substantially lowers the risk of type 2 diabetes and helps to regulate blood sugar. 
  • Barley is also an excellent source of selenium, which reduces the risk of colon cancer. 




Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means so much to me. Please let me know if you have questions about any of my recipes or if I forgot a step. Also, is there something you would like me to cook or a recipe to makeover? Let me know!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home