Over the years I have given this recipe to almost every one of my friends. Most people think these are time consuming or difficult to make, but they are quite quick and easy. This recipe actually makes a double batch. I freeze half in a tupperware container to use for future dinners. I usually shoot for golf ball sized meatballs, but you can make larger or smaller depending on how you want to use them. There are three key secrets to great meatballs.
Secrets and recipe after the jump.
1. The tastiest meatballs use more than one type of meat. I use half 93% lean sirloin and half ground pork. You can also use veal as well.
2. Do not overwork or over kneed the meat. Just enough to mix together and form the balls.
3. Light bread crumbs. Too many will take away from the meat. Just enough to bind and add texture.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15-20 minutes
1lb ground sirloin (I used 93% lean)
1lb ground pork
1/2 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
1/2 cup minced yellow onion
4 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
Step by Step Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 350
2. In a medium bowl, add sirloin and pork
3. Add garlic, onions, cheese and spices
4. Add bread crumbs and egg
5. Mix gently until mixture is integrated
6. Roll mixture gently into meatballs (I usually go for golf ball sized)
7. Place balls on greased cookie sheet
8. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until meatballs brown and begin to crisp
9. Serve with homemade pasta sauce