Monday, March 28, 2011

Chicken Chili with Black Beans




Since it's still March and it was 20 degrees when I left for work this morning, I thought some spicy chili would help me warm up a bit. This recipe is quick, simple and lean. Braising the chicken with the aromatics ensures a rich flavor without hours of cooking. I used a combination of dark and white meat chicken and two types of chili peppers. You can substitute any different type of pepper, depending on your heat tolerance. I like serrano chiles because they have a complex flavor, and habanero for heat. Just be careful when you handle them, the oils in the peppers have a tendency to get into everything. At only 323 calories per serving and packing over 40 grams of protein, this chili is a healthy, quick dinner that everyone can enjoy.


Recipe and photos after the jump

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35-40 minutes

Ingredients:
1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 can low sodium black beans, or 1/2 cup dry beans soaked
8 oz tomato puree or crushed tomatoes
2 cups low sodium chicken stock, divided
1 medium onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 serrano chili peppers, minced
1 habanero pepper, minced
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped or 1 tsp dried


Step by Step Instructions:
1. Sautee garlic, onion and peppers in olive oil 3-5 minutes, until soft

2. Add chicken and brown, 2-3 minutes, flipping once

3. Once chicken is lightly browned, add 1 cup of stock, cumin and cilantro

4. Braise chicken covered for 5-7 minutes

5. Remove chicken and shred or chop

6. Return chicken to pot

7. Add tomatoes and remaining stock and simmer uncovered on med-low heat for 10 minutes

8. Add beans and simmer an additional 10 minutes

9. Serve

Nutrition Info: Makes 4 servings
323 Calories
42.8g Protein
8g Fiber

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At July 13, 2011 at 11:19 AM , Blogger Mary @Delightful Bitefuls said...

Yummy! This is my favorite way to eat chicken... bookmarked to try this soon!

New to your blog; happy I found you!

Mary xo
Delightful Bitefuls

 

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means so much to me. Please let me know if you have questions about any of my recipes or if I forgot a step. Also, is there something you would like me to cook or a recipe to makeover? Let me know!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home