Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Thai Marinated Skirt Steak



Skirt steak is a long, flat cut that is more flavorful than tender. It is great in fajitas and stir fries, and marinates really well. I love to grill skirt steak. It has a wonderful flavor, responds well to marinades, and cooks up in minutes! It's simple and tasty, the perfect summer grilling food.

So I decided to whip up a spicy Asian version using my favorite Thai marinade. It combines lots of really intense flavors for a tangy and spicy marinade. The flavors work well with the steak, and I garnished it with some chopped cilantro, green onions and a lime wedge. Remember to slice against the grain to minimize toughness!

Also: check out these AMAZING quinoa recipes from Shape.com! I am honored that they included my Quinoa Broccoli Pilaf.

Read more for the full recipe.


Ingredients:
1.5 cups low sodium soy sauce
2 tbsp Asian fish sauce
2" of fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
4 cloves of garlic
4 tbsp fresh cilantro, washed
1 or 2 small Thai chilies
2 tsp ground coriander
juice of 1 lime
1lb skirt steak, fat trimmed
salt and pepper to taste habenero
optional: cilantro, green onions, lime wedges

Step by Step Instructions:
1. Combine soy sauce, fish sauce, ginger, garlic, cilantro, chilies, coriander and lime juice in a food processor and puree.
2. In a large ziplock bag, add steak and marinade, squeeze out excess air and seal shut
3. Refrigerate meat for 2+ hours
4. Remove meat from marinade
5. Grill to desired doneness
6. Serve sprinkled with cilantro, green onions and a wedge of lime


Labels: , ,

13 Comments:

At June 6, 2012 at 3:48 AM , Blogger Foodie Stuntman said...

Yep. I love soy sauce based marinades for beef because the high sodium content almost acts as a brine. Nice job!

 
At June 6, 2012 at 9:50 AM , Blogger mgfrederic said...

this looks great...would love to cook this with coconut rice :)

 
At June 6, 2012 at 11:15 AM , Blogger Jennifer Kendall said...

the marinade for the steak sounds incredible! yum!

 
At June 6, 2012 at 11:29 AM , Blogger CJ - Food Stories said...

This marinade looks so good :-)

 
At June 7, 2012 at 1:42 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm always nervous to make skirt steak. I'll have to give your recipe a try!

 
At June 7, 2012 at 11:58 AM , Blogger gastronomic nomad said...

Whewww!! 2 Thai chile peppers...spicy!! I'm always looking for a good steak marinade. Really love all the flavors in this one. Congrats on top 9 and Shape.com! Amazing!!

 
At June 7, 2012 at 11:58 AM , Blogger gastronomic nomad said...

Whewww!! 2 Thai chile peppers...spicy!! I'm always looking for a good steak marinade. Really love all the flavors in this one. Congrats on top 9 and Shape.com! Amazing!!

 
At June 7, 2012 at 2:08 PM , Blogger connie journey said...

Do you happen to know how many weight watcher points this is?

 
At June 7, 2012 at 2:18 PM , Blogger Peggy G. said...

Love this marinade! If I wasn't already marinating my chicken in teriyaki right now, this would be my alternative!

 
At June 7, 2012 at 4:31 PM , Blogger Kristina said...

So I gave up red meat a few years ago... i know I know.... but I've been wanting to start again this summer I'm just freaked out I'm going to get sick after not eating it for so long! Ick. Your skirt steak sounds so good though! more motivation :)

And that's awesome that your recipes on Shape.com! Love that magazine!!

 
At June 7, 2012 at 5:39 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

What a nice marinade!

 
At June 11, 2012 at 7:24 AM , Blogger Baker Street said...

2 Thai chile peppers!!! That sure is a spicy marinade but a delicious one too!

 
At June 25, 2012 at 9:42 AM , Blogger Pamela said...

This has become my summer BBQ marinade, thanks to you! I have made it three weekends in a row for different sets of friends and each has asked for the recipe. Thanks for sharing.

 

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means so much to me. Please let me know if you have questions about any of my recipes or if I forgot a step. Also, is there something you would like me to cook or a recipe to makeover? Let me know!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home