Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Bulgur with Kale and Walnuts



So I've been meaning to experiment with bulgur for a while. As you know, I love whole grains and I am obsessed with finding new and exciting ways to eat them. Unfortunately, many of my favorite grains take a really long time to cook, so I was intrigued that bulgur can be prepared in less than 20 minutes.

Bulgur is made from pre-cooked, cracked wheat berries. It is naturally high in fiber, low in fat and vegetarian/vegan. It is a great substitute for rice because it has more fiber and nutrients, but has a lower glycemic index. A cup of cooked bulgur has only 151 calories while packing in 8.2 grams of fiber and 5.6 grams of protein! However, as a wheat product, it is not suitable for people on a gluten-free diet.

So, bulgur is quick, easy and nutritious. But how does it taste? Great! It has a similar consistency to couscous but with a bit of nutty flavor like quinoa. I can see why it's a popular addition to soups.

For my bulgur experiment, I was inspired by this recipe from Eating Well. I stir fried some kale with onion and walnuts and tossed everything with some olive oil and white wine vinegar. I also added some optional cherry tomatoes for color and crunch since I had some lying around. This recipe was flavorful and filling. Serving size is about 1 cup and this recipe should serve 4 with a bit to spare.


Read more for the full recipe!



Ingredients:
1 cup bulgur, dry
3-4 cups kale, washed and chopped into 1" wide ribbons
1/4 chopped walnuts
1 small yellow onion, diced
1 tbsp + 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
1 tsp white wine vinegar
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp black pepper
optional: 1 tsp red pepper flakes
optional: 1 cup of cherry tomatoes, sliced

Step by Step Instructions:
1. Cook bulgur according to package directions
2. Saute onion in 1 tbsp of olive oil on medium heat until soft 4-5 minutes
3. Add kale and reduce heat to med-low, saute with onion for 5-7 minutes, until leaves wilt
4. Stir in cooked bulgur and walnuts
5. Toss with 1 tsp oil, vinegar, salt, pepper and optional tomatoes and red pepper
6. Serve warm or cold


Labels: , , ,

16 Comments:

At May 15, 2012 at 7:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Introduced first to edamame, now bulgar, I always learn new ingredients to try when I visit and delicious new recipes like this too :D
Thanks!

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

 
At May 15, 2012 at 7:37 PM , Blogger Kelly | Eat Yourself Skinny said...

What a fabulous recipe, this looks absolutely delicious!! :)

 
At May 15, 2012 at 9:25 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love bulgur and this looks delicious! Thanks for sharing!

 
At May 15, 2012 at 10:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very healthy and tasty looking!

 
At May 16, 2012 at 5:31 AM , Blogger Sell WoW Account said...

Didn't know bulgur still exist nowadays! :) Used to have it way back on my younger years. That sounds a healthy recipe!

 
At May 16, 2012 at 7:36 AM , Blogger Baker Street said...

Fabulous recipe! I love the use of bulgur and kale together.

 
At May 16, 2012 at 10:52 AM , Blogger Daphne Elliot said...

Aw. Thanks. I get excited about experimenting with new things. Thanks for stopping by.

 
At May 16, 2012 at 10:53 AM , Blogger Daphne Elliot said...

Yes. I wasn't looking for it so I never saw it but since I starting hunting around for it I've found it in a variety of stores.

 
At May 16, 2012 at 11:41 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

What a great idea for a different version of bulgur! Will have to try!

 
At May 16, 2012 at 11:42 AM , Blogger Foodie Stuntman said...

I'll have to try this...

 
At May 16, 2012 at 2:05 PM , Blogger Crystal said...

This looks really tasty. It's nice to see bulgur used for something other than tabbouleh. Thanks for posting. :)

 
At May 16, 2012 at 3:46 PM , Blogger CJ - Food Stories said...

I haven't had bulgur in awhile & this looks great ... Thx for the reminder :-)

 
At May 19, 2012 at 11:55 AM , Blogger CJ - Food Stories said...

I have nominated you for the One Lovely Blog Award! Stop by my blog for the details :) Have a good day!

 
At May 20, 2012 at 4:53 PM , Blogger Katherine said...

Mmm love bulgur! The addition of walnuts is a great idea.

 
At May 22, 2012 at 2:55 PM , Blogger Jennifer Kendall said...

i'm always so inspired to try new things after stopping by your blog. i've never had bulgur before, but now i definitely want to try - this sounds so delicious!

 
At May 31, 2012 at 12:36 AM , Blogger Sweet and Salty SF said...

Great recipe! I'm always looking for ways to sneak kale into my diet!

 

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means so much to me. Please let me know if you have questions about any of my recipes or if I forgot a step. Also, is there something you would like me to cook or a recipe to makeover? Let me know!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home