Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Asparagus Potato Salad




Potato salad is one of those summer staples that you see at every cookout but rarely want to actually eat. Mushy potatoes swimming in mayo with little flavor is not my idea of a tasty treat. So I knew I could do better.

This salad combines tasty baby potatoes (I am in love with these multicolored ones) with fresh, seasonal asparagus. Adding a ton of veggies helps to keep the calories down and adds a tasty crunch to the dish. I used bacon, shallot and fresh chives for flavors and tossed everything with a light mustard vinaigrette.

This salad was incredible warm. I ate cold leftovers the next day and it was still super tasty and flavorful. The key is to just barely cook the asparagus, that way it will retain its nice crunch without feeling too raw.

I also wanted to give y'all a garden update! Things are coming along. My peas are growing like crazy and I'm excited to see how big they get. The kale and Brussels sprouts are coming along nicely on the porch.

In the ground, I have tomatoes, basil, cayenne and jalapeno peppers, butternut squash and baby watermelons. Watching everything grow is so much fun! I can't wait till August when I can start cooking with all this stuff!



Read more for the potato salad recipe



Ingredients:
1lb potatoes, washed and cut into 1" chunks, skin-on
1/4 lb bacon (4 oz)
1 large shallot, diced
1lb asparagus, trimmed, washed and cut into 1/2" slices
5 fresh chives, chopped (approx 2-3 tbsp)
1 tbsp dijon mustard
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Step by Step Instructions:
1. Par boil potatoes until fork tender, approximately 10-12 minutes, depending on size. Drain, rinse with cold water and set aside.
2. In a large frying pan, saute shallot with bacon on medium heat 4-5 minutes
3. Add asparagus pieces and saute for another 2-3 minutes
4. In a small bowl, whisk together mustard, vinegar and oil
5. In a large mixing bowl, combine potatoes, asparagus, bacon, chives, and dressing mixture. Toss well to combine
6. Season with salt and pepper
7. Serve warm or cold.


Labels: , , ,

21 Comments:

At May 30, 2012 at 11:03 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the purple potatoes in this salad!

 
At May 31, 2012 at 12:33 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This looks delicious! I bet it would be great in a picnic. Adding it to the summer picnic list!

 
At May 31, 2012 at 9:23 AM , Blogger Suzi said...

This is a perfect potato salad and very creative. Love those summer colors too. I am loving your garden, I can only grow brussel sprouts here in the winter along with broccoli and cauliflower. I've never tried growing peas but green beans seem do well. Good luck!!

 
At May 31, 2012 at 9:41 AM , Blogger Katie said...

I love all things potato salad, but this is one of the prettiest I've ever seen!

 
At May 31, 2012 at 9:53 AM , Blogger Daphne Elliot said...

Thanks Katie! I take no credit for the cute multi-colored potatoes. I picked those up at the grocery store.

 
At May 31, 2012 at 9:54 AM , Blogger Daphne Elliot said...

Thanks Suzi! I need the luck. This is my first time gardening (I used to live in basement apartments) so we'll see how it goes...

 
At May 31, 2012 at 4:20 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the gorgeous multicolourism in this salad - great flavour combo :D

Cheers
CCU

 
At May 31, 2012 at 5:13 PM , Blogger gastronomic nomad said...

I'm so jealous of your garden! As per my asparagus post, I have a black thumb and kill plants/flowers on sight. Love the colors in this salad. Buzzed!

 
At June 1, 2012 at 1:03 AM , Blogger Kim Bee said...

This looks so good. I am not normally a potato salad fan but this is one I would eat for sure. Looks mighty tasty. The garden and planters look great. I want to put a garden in so badly. We had a massive one at our last place. I miss it something awful. I even grew my own corn and pumpkins for fall.

 
At June 1, 2012 at 1:11 AM , Blogger Baker Street said...

Another great recipe, Dara! Congratulations on top 9 today! :)

 
At June 1, 2012 at 11:37 AM , Blogger Geri Saucier said...

The Potato Salad is so colorful. It also looks delicious. I like the use of a light dressing for the veggies instead of a thick creamy dressing. Thanks a great post and congratulations on Foodbuzz Top 9

 
At June 1, 2012 at 1:18 PM , Blogger Shawn said...

Love the colors of those potatoes! This salad looks so good! Totally pinning this!

 
At June 1, 2012 at 8:35 PM , Blogger Jennifer Kendall said...

now that is a potato salad i would be excited to eat! looks absolutely delicious Dara!

 
At June 1, 2012 at 8:58 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the colorful baby potatoes! And bacon makes everything better...

 
At June 3, 2012 at 10:14 AM , Blogger Kristina said...

Hey Dara! happy to meet you through kim :) love love love your blog too! That potato salad is gorgeous, love the purples and reds. Im breaking ground on my own garden today... fingers crossed for me.....

 
At June 7, 2012 at 12:20 PM , Blogger Stephie said...

This salad is SO pretty! I love the multicolored potatoes. I definitely wouldn't pass this up at a cookout.

 
At June 10, 2012 at 11:12 PM , Blogger lindsay anne said...

What a delightful combo. I love (love!) a good potato salad, but I've never thought to add in asparagus. I'm sure it tastes fabulous. (I just came across your blog via foodbuzz, and really like it, by the way! Love your fresh, seasonal recipes.)

 
At June 12, 2012 at 12:28 PM , Blogger Kate said...

Hi, I was goingt to try and calculate calories of this dish. How many servings does this potato salad make?

Thanks!!

 
At June 12, 2012 at 4:25 PM , Blogger Daphne Elliot said...

Hi Kate! Great question. This salad will comfortably serve 6 as a side dish.

 
At July 30, 2012 at 11:33 AM , Blogger Marniemouse said...

Hi, this potato salad looks gorgeous and I'd love to try it but my husband doesn't like mustard, Is there anything you could recommend to substitute it with? Thanks!

 
At July 30, 2012 at 11:35 AM , Blogger Marniemouse said...

Hi, this potato salad looks gorgeous and I'd love to try it but my husband doesn't like mustard, Is there anything you could recommend to substitute it with? Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means so much to me. Please let me know if you have questions about any of my recipes or if I forgot a step. Also, is there something you would like me to cook or a recipe to makeover? Let me know!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home