Monday, May 14, 2012

Beet and Edamame Salad



So the boys and I took a short ride out to Halibut Point State Park in Rockport, Mass this Saturday to get some fresh air. It was so beautiful. The park surrounds an old granite quarry that looks out on a very rocky shoreline. It was more of a walk than a hike, but it was a lovely walk through the woods around the quarry to the shoreline. The fresh, salty air felt amazing! Archer had a great time smelling every single rock, stick and blade of grass in the place.

 

After spending some lovely time outside getting fresh air and exercise, I wanted to make something fresh and delicious for dinner. A few weeks ago, I spent a fantastic weekend at the Kripalu Center for Yoga and Health in Lenox, Mass. The experience was amazing, I did hours and hours of different types of yoga, hiked in the Berkshires and ate some incredible food. It was there that I discovered raw beets. Now, I love beets and they are a wonderful superfood. But I've never eaten them raw. I had them shredded, raw on salad and they were so sweet and delicious I've been eating them that way since. It is so simple. Just peel the beet with a veggie peeler and then grate on a large box grater (or julienne with a food processor). One medium sized beet will produce at least two salad servings and is incredibly low in calories and packed with nutrients.

So, looking at what I had in the fridge, I decided to make an Asian inspired salad using some delicious shredded beets and edamame. I love edamame, it is the most fantastic snack. I like adding it to salads and stir frys because it packs such a nutritional punch. These little beans are rich in protein, fiber, and folate, manganese and vitamin K. A half cup of shelled beans has only 120 calories but has 9 grams of fiber and 11 grams of protein! With the beets and edamame I added some baby bok choy and carrots. I topped it with some low calorie vinaigrette. I was going to make a dressing, but I am loving the Ginger Soy Vinaigrette that I got at Whole Foods. It's the 365 Organic house brand and it has only 50 calories per serving! So much flavor and very low in calories. So I needed an excuse to use it and tell you about it.


This salad was a lovely way to end a great and healthy day!
Read more for the full recipe.



Ingredients:
2 large beets, peeled and grated or julienned
1 cup shredded or grated carrots
2 heads baby bok choy, washed and chopped into 1/2" chunks
1 cup shelled, unsalted edamame (if frozen, cook according to package directions and then cool)
1/2 cup low cal Asian vinaigrette (I used 365 Organic Ginger Soy Vinaigrette)

Instructions:
Plate salads with 1/2 head of bok choy, 1/2 of a shredded beet, 1/4 cup shredded carrots and 1/2 cup edamame beans. Dress with 2 tbsp of dressing and serve immediately.

Labels: , , , ,

11 Comments:

At May 15, 2012 at 2:38 AM , Blogger Baker Street said...

What a gorgeous looking salad! Love the vibrant and colorful it is. :)

 
At May 15, 2012 at 10:51 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is healthy i love the colour of it.

 
At May 15, 2012 at 10:59 AM , Blogger TinaRBK said...

Lovely blend here! You do not see beets used too much in salads, but the variety is more than welcome! Also, the light dressing is very complimentary to all the elements in there. Delicious and healthy!

 
At May 15, 2012 at 12:38 PM , Blogger Suzi said...

This is a beautiful looking salad and totally healthy. I am going to try grating some beets to add to my salad, I haven't done that yet.

 
At May 15, 2012 at 12:52 PM , Blogger CJ - Food Stories said...

I don't think I've ever had raw beets before so I'll have to give this a try :-)

 
At May 15, 2012 at 3:33 PM , Blogger Jennifer Kendall said...

i've never had raw beets before, but this salad looks so colorful and vibrant i think i need to try

 
At May 15, 2012 at 4:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love edamame! It's so delicious.

 
At May 15, 2012 at 4:46 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have also never tried raw beets - I actually didn't know it was possible to eat them raw. I just might give it a try because that salad looks beautiful!

 
At May 15, 2012 at 6:59 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have never tried edamame but it looks fantastic - what a beauty of a salad :D

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

 
At May 16, 2012 at 3:32 AM , Blogger Foodie Stuntman said...

Congratulations on making the foodbuzz Top 9!

 
At May 16, 2012 at 9:13 AM , Blogger Staci said...

I thought all beets had to be cooked...can't find edamame here in Saudi (much to my dismay...I miss it so much) But, I'd like to try mixing this with something else. Thanks for the recipe!

 

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means so much to me. Please let me know if you have questions about any of my recipes or if I forgot a step. Also, is there something you would like me to cook or a recipe to makeover? Let me know!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home