Thursday, June 14, 2012

Moroccan Three Grain Salad



I love whole grains! That should not come as a surprise to my regular readers, as I sometimes forget there are other food groups. Anyway, I love grains so much I decided to combine three of them into a yummy salad. Well, technically, quinoa is a seed - but for the purposes of this recipe I'm calling it a grain.

So, three grains and some tasty Moroccan seasoning and you've got a wonderful and FILLING side dish. This one is fiber central so a little will fill you up really fast.

I added some delicious dried apricots (thanks Caroline!) and pistachios. A intense mix of Moroccan seasonings gives the dish some kick without overpowering the nutty flavors of the grains. I deliberately kept the spices mild and used some lemon zest and juice to blend the flavors together. The result is a wonderful main or side dish that will last you a few days with ample leftovers.



Read more for the full recipe


Ingredients:
3 cups of water
1/2 cup pearled barley
1/2 cup quinoa
1/2 cup bulgur
1/2 cup pistachios, chopped
1/2 cup apricots, chopped
1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp tumeric
1/4 tsp cardamom
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp salt



Directions:
1. In a small bowl, mix together all spices
2. Bring water to a boil.
3. Stir in barley, return to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low
4. Simmer barley for 15 minutes
5. Add quinoa and bulgur, cover and simmer for another 10-12 minutes
6. Remove grains from heat, stir in spice mix, lemon zest and lemon juice
7. Cool grains
8. Add chopped pistachios, apricots and parsley
9. Serve cool

Labels: , , , ,

10 Comments:

At June 15, 2012 at 12:40 AM , Blogger Foodie Stuntman said...

I've never tried bulgur. Is there another food that tastes similar?

 
At June 15, 2012 at 8:15 AM , Blogger Baker Street said...

Love bulgur and this recipe is exquisite! I must try this out over the weekend. :)

 
At June 15, 2012 at 8:27 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This looks tasty, especially with the cardamom!

 
At June 15, 2012 at 8:33 AM , Blogger Daphne Elliot said...

I think it has a similar texture to whole wheat couscous. So that would be my comparison. It also has a slightly nutty flavor.

 
At June 15, 2012 at 11:24 AM , Blogger Isabelle said...

Sounds so wonderful and healthy! I love the idea of using pearl barley as a salad grain... it's an underused ingredient in my kitchen, particularly in the summer, so I'm always looking for new things I can make with it.

 
At June 15, 2012 at 1:54 PM , Blogger Jennifer Kendall said...

i love all those seasonings in this! sounds so delicious and flavorful!

 
At June 16, 2012 at 11:47 AM , Blogger Stephanie said...

Yum, this sounds amazing! I absolutely love whole grains, too. The different flavors all sound amazing - definitely bookmarking this recipe :)

 
At June 16, 2012 at 8:46 PM , Blogger Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Oh, yum! I love this combination of grains...I could easily eat this for lunch :)

 
At June 18, 2012 at 10:30 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the idea of using a mixture of different grains. I definitely need to branch out and try more than just quinoa!

 
At June 18, 2012 at 10:18 PM , Blogger pattk1220 said...

I love this salad idea! Did you use fresh or dried apricots?

 

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means so much to me. Please let me know if you have questions about any of my recipes or if I forgot a step. Also, is there something you would like me to cook or a recipe to makeover? Let me know!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home