Monday, June 11, 2012

Four Pea Salad




I love summer! Sunlight! Longer days! The smell of saltwater and sunscreen! And VEGGIES!!!

I went a little crazy at the farmer's market this week and got lots of PEAS. All different varieties and types. I've never seen pea greens and tendrils before, but they were all bunched up and looked healthy and tasty so I thought I'd give it a try. Along with the sugar snap peas, shelling sweet peas, and pea shoots I picked up I decided to make a Pea Extravaganza Salad.

This salad is a combo of all of the above. Four different types of peas tossed with some crunch pepitas, salty capers and a lemon honey vinagrette. Simple, tasty and super fresh. I swear, eating this is like getting in a weeks worth of veggies. It's so filling and packed with healthy vitamins.

This is a big recipe - serves 4 for dinner portions and will go nicely with some fish or chicken. I may even add some fresh goat cheese next time.



Full recipe after the jump!


Ingredients:
1lb fresh pea greens and tendrils, washed and dried
2 cups pea shoots, washed and chopped
1 cup fresh shelled peas, washed
1 cup fresh sugar snap peas, trimmed and washed
1/4 cup raw pepitas
2 tbsp capers
juice and zest of 1 lemon
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp raw honey
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
black pepper

Step by Step Instructions:
1. Steam peas and snap peas for 3-4 minutes, until tender, cool and set aside
2. In a large salad bowl, toss greens, tendrils, shoots, peas, and snap peas
3. Whisk together lemon juice and zest, oil, honey, and vinegar
4. Dress salad and toss with capers and pepitas
5. Serve with some ground black pepper




12 Comments:

At June 12, 2012 at 12:41 AM , Blogger Foodie Stuntman said...

Fresh vegetables are the best, huh?

 
At June 12, 2012 at 5:34 AM , Blogger Baker Street said...

I'm loving your salad recipes! Fresh veggies are really the best.

 
At June 12, 2012 at 12:52 PM , Blogger Stephanie said...

This looks like a great combination of flavors! I love the "4 Pea Salad" written with chalk - great idea.

 
At June 12, 2012 at 2:53 PM , Blogger Jennifer Kendall said...

that is one beautiful salad! that dressing sounds perfect - so fresh and light!

 
At June 12, 2012 at 4:09 PM , Blogger Daphne Elliot said...

Thanks. The chalkboard took me 2 tries to make and I'm still not thrilled with it. I think I may have to hit home depot again...

 
At June 12, 2012 at 9:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What tasty photos!

 
At June 12, 2012 at 10:50 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm completely obsessed with pea greens, so this sounds absolutely amazing!

 
At June 13, 2012 at 12:54 AM , Blogger Kim Bee said...

Oh this looks so good. I love the recipe and the photos.

 
At June 13, 2012 at 2:43 PM , Blogger CJ - Food Stories said...

Oh my ... Never knew there were so many peas ... Looks fabulous!

 
At June 13, 2012 at 9:13 PM , Blogger CakeWhiz said...

The way you wrote 4 peas salad is so original! The salad looks all green and healthy!
- abeer @ www.cakewhiz.com

 
At June 13, 2012 at 9:13 PM , Blogger CakeWhiz said...

The way you wrote 4 peas salad is so original! The salad looks all green and healthy!
- abeer @ www.cakewhiz.com

 
At June 18, 2012 at 10:16 AM , Blogger Kristina said...

The fresh peas with the capers sounds fabulous! I have had the hardest time finding pea shoot by me though, even at the farmer's market, I wanted to make a salad a while back with them and couldn't find them anywhere!

your pic with the chalkboard looks so fun too! such good idea!

 

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means so much to me. Please let me know if you have questions about any of my recipes or if I forgot a step. Also, is there something you would like me to cook or a recipe to makeover? Let me know!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home