Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Peanut Butter Pumpkin Doggie Treats


So, as many of you may know, I recently became a dog owner. After years of wanting a puppy and not being able to have one (apartments, law school, ect...) we finally got the cutest (and craziest) puppy in the universe. Archer is now 19 weeks old and already 27 lbs! He is growing like a weed and eating constantly. He is completely and totally obsessed with food. I realized that I cook special meals and treats for all the people in my life, it's about time I made something special for my little meatball. So, in honor of his graduation from puppy kindergarten this weekend, I decided to whip him up some tasty treats.

There are many different ways you can go about creating doggie treats. I decided to just throw some things together and experiment. Archer goes bananas over peanut butter, so I knew that had to be a big part of the treat. He also loves these natural dog treats that are made of pumpkin, so I did some research. Turns out, pumpkin is great for dogs because it is high in fiber and beta carotene. The dog food we feed him is grain free and wheat is generally not great for their tummies. I decided to use garbanzo bean flour instead. I bought a big bag months ago to try baking with. I was unhappy with the results, so I figured I'd give it another try. Most commercial wheat free and allergy sensitive dog treats are made with it. Plus, it has a lot of protein and fiber.

So I threw these various ingredients together and hoped for the best. After a few experimental batches, I got the best result with these quantities. The dough is quite sticky. This will make for a cookie that is still slightly soft, even when totally cooled. This allowed me to break them into small pieces to feed him. I need to get some tiny cookie cutters so make smaller ones in the future.

So what's the verdict? Archer went CRAZY over these. I had to hide them because he kept trying to jump on top of the counter to grab the plate. So I'm happy because he likes them, they are good motivation for when we're training, and they don't have lots of scary additives in them. Plus, they took about 20 minutes to make.



Read more for the full recipe!



Ingredients:
1 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
2/3 cup natural peanut butter
1 egg
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1 2/3 cup garbanzo bean flour (plus at least 1/2 cup for rolling - use a lot!)

Craig and Archer at the beach


Step by Step Instructions:

1. Preheat oven to 375

2. Mix together peanut butter, pumpkin egg and oil

3. Add cinnamon, salt and flour

4. Mix thoroughly, mixture should be crumbly and a bit sticky

5. Liberally flour a rolling surface and roll dough out to 1/2" thickness

6. Using cookie cutters, cut cookie out of dough

7. Place cookies on a greased cookie sheet

8. Bake 15-18 minutes, until crisp

9. Cool and serve


10 Comments:

At February 14, 2012 at 9:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

These are terrific! Sunny Pup would love them....I like that there is not flour. Sunny is allergic to corn, soy and wheat. I'm allergic to cinnamon, so I'd omit these, but they might be a Christmas present for her!

Archer is ADORABLE! Happy Valentines Day!

 
At February 14, 2012 at 10:04 PM , Blogger Balvinder said...

These are great. My dog loves pumpkin flavour. recently my daughter bought apple and pumpkin mix treats for our Dog. They are so cute that my daughter has to remind me not to eat as they were dog treats. My dog loves those.
I am going to try these.

 
At February 14, 2012 at 10:06 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Your dog is so cute. I have a golden retriever at home. She will be very happy if I bake those pumpkin treats for her!!!

 
At February 14, 2012 at 10:54 PM , Blogger Yummy said...

Aw! So cute. What a nice treat to make for your doggy!

 
At February 15, 2012 at 6:32 AM , Blogger TinaRBK said...

This post does inspire, it has been awhile since I have baked for my pup! Also, he does have a thing for peanut butter. Thanks for sharing this one-your dog is adorable!

 
At February 15, 2012 at 3:41 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a sweet puppy!!! I don't have a dog but I'll share this with friends who do :-D

 
At February 15, 2012 at 6:43 PM , Blogger Sweet and Salty SF said...

Your pup is so cute! And what a great recipe you've created! My bf's dog will definitely appreciate these and so will his body! :)

 
At February 16, 2012 at 11:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You dog is super cute!

Great recipe, I will have to make this for my dogs on my next visit home. Thank you for sharing!

 
At February 17, 2012 at 12:12 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Archer is adorable; I often see bone shaped cookie cutters and I'm sure it is for this exact purpose. Lucky puppy.

 
At February 22, 2012 at 12:31 AM , Blogger Kim Bee said...

I was just eyeing a doggy treat cookbook today. Lol. These are so adorable and your pup is so cute. I gotta try these for demon spawn.

 

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means so much to me. Please let me know if you have questions about any of my recipes or if I forgot a step. Also, is there something you would like me to cook or a recipe to makeover? Let me know!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home