Monday, January 2, 2012

Delicata Squash with Kale and Potatoes



Happy New Year! This is my first post of 2012! As much as I love the holidays, I am excited to take a break from excessive celebrating and get back to some healthy eating! I have dubbed this week the week of kale. Since kale is one of my favorite veggies and an incredibly versatile ingredient, I wanted to show you some unique ways to prepare and enjoy it. Personally, I usually like it raw, but it's a bit of an acquired taste. So I decided to kick off a healthy 2012 with some new and interesting kale recipes.

This dish is a hodgepodge of incredibly vitamin rich ingredients. You start with roasting some creamy delicata squash and fingerling potatoes and then toss that with crunchy kale and radicchio. The heat of the roasted squash will wilt the greens, making a warm, flavorful salad that I top with a light lemon vinaigrette. Radicchio has a slight bitterness, which is offset nicely by the sweet and creamy squash. This dish is light and flavorful while also being absolutely packed with fiber and vitamins. Most importantly, it's simple and easy to prepare.

Read more for the full recipe!


Ingredients:
2 medium delicata squash (approx 1lb), sliced in half and seeded
1lb fingerling potatoes, washed and halved
1 cup lactino kale, washed and chopped into 1" ribbons
1 cup radicchio, washed and chopped into 1" ribbons
1 medium leek, halved and chopped (white part only)
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tbsp + 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
2 tbsp fresh rosemary, washed and chopped



Step by Step Instructions:


1. Preheat oven to 425

2. Cut delicata squash into 1/2" slices and arrange in a large baking dish

3. Toss squash, leeks and potatoes with 2 tbsp olive oil, season with salt and pepper

4. Roast for 30-35 minutes, until slightly crispy

5. In a small bowl, whisk together 1 tsp olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar and rosemary

6. Remove squash/potatoes from the oven

7. In the roasting pan, toss the kale and radicchio with the squash and potatoes

8. Drizzle with the dressing and toss thoroughly

9. Allow to cool for 10 minutes. The heat will wilt the greens

10. Serve with fresh pepper and a lemon wedge


Labels: , , , , ,

9 Comments:

At January 3, 2012 at 2:01 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dara, what a terrific recipe and your photos are STUNNING! Thanks for sharing and I know exactly what you mean! I was breathing a sigh of relief to get back to healthier eating!

 
At January 3, 2012 at 8:05 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yum! I love this recipe! I'm looking for ways to get more (delicious) ways to get more dark leafy greens in my diet other then just salads. I'll definitely be making this very soon! And I LOVE your blog! So glad I came across ya on Foodbuzz :)

 
At January 3, 2012 at 8:06 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

@ultraambitious.com oops! I mean always looking for more delicious ways to get greens in my diet. haha.

 
At January 3, 2012 at 4:58 PM , Blogger Cakelaw said...

This looks bright and colourful and delicious, and it is a bonus that it's healthy. Happy New Year!

 
At January 4, 2012 at 10:39 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nothing short of gorgeous! Just the type of side dish I like during the winter months....of course, I keep waiting for it to get cold here!

 
At January 4, 2012 at 12:45 PM , Blogger Suzi said...

I love every single ingredient in here. Beautiful and soooo healthy. Happy New Year!

 
At January 5, 2012 at 9:06 AM , Blogger eatme_delicious said...

Yum this sounds like an amazing salad!! Though I have yet to love radicchio so I might leave that out.

 
At January 9, 2012 at 11:02 AM , Blogger gastronomic nomad said...

These are such beautiful photos and great colors! I've tried eating radicchio several times now but its bitterness is always a bit too much for me still. Maybe I'll try it again with this recipe.

 
At January 23, 2012 at 5:00 PM , Blogger Kim Bee said...

Oh my, I missed this one. It looks so good. Your food just looks so healthy and bright. I love it.

 

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means so much to me. Please let me know if you have questions about any of my recipes or if I forgot a step. Also, is there something you would like me to cook or a recipe to makeover? Let me know!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home