Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Easy Skillet Lasagna







The holidays are such a wonderful time of year. However, things get so busy and hectic that I'm having trouble finding time to cook. So I thought it would be a great time to develop something quick and easy that can last a few days. Lasagna is so yummy and delicious, but it's always been a special occasion or weekend meal. No more! This skillet lasagna takes less than 40 minutes to put together and makes an incredible weeknight meal. The best part is that it makes enough for some great leftovers and will keep for 3 days in the fridge.

Don't be intimidated by all the steps, basically you brown up some meat, I used chicken sausage, but you could use turkey or ground beef, and then layer a lasagna in a cast iron skillet and bake it. The key to making this work quickly is to use slightly more sauce than you would making a normal lasagna, the extra sauce helps to "cook" the noodles. I used fresh pasta sheets, which I found at the store, but you can also use no boil lasagna noodles. Either will work well.

As usual, I've lightened up this recipe by using whole wheat noodles, cutting back the cheese, and using lean chicken sausage.


Read more for the full recipe



Ingredients:
1lb whole wheat lasagna noodles (fresh or no boil)
6 cups homemade pasta sauce (or jarred sauce)
1lb italian chicken sausage, casings removed
8 oz part skim ricotta cheese
4 tbsp grated parmesan, divided
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
pepper
fresh parsley


Step by Step Instructions: Preheat oven to 375

1. In your skillet, saute sausage in olive oil on medium heat, breaking up into small chunks

2. Remove cooked sausage and set aside

3. Ladle one cup of pasta sauce into the bottom of the skillet, spread around in a thin layer

4. Break up lasagna sheets into 3-4" strips, lay strips across the bottom of the skillet, creating one layer

5. Spoon half the sausage mixture on top of the noodles

6. Sprinkle with 1 tbsp parmesan

7. Top with 1.5 cups sauce

8. Add another layer of broken noodles, making sure to cover the sausage completely

9. Spread remaining sausage across the layer of noodles

10. Top with one tbsp parmesan

11. Top with 1.5 cups sauce

12. Add the final layer of broken noodles, making sure to cover the sausage mixture

13. Top with another cup of sauce

14. Sprinkle remaining parmesan on the top

15. Using a tablespoon, spread dollops of ricotta equally across the top of the lasagna

16. Season with pepper

17. Cover with tinfoil and bake for 20 minutes

18. Uncover and bake an additional 5 minutes

19. Serve sprinkled with parsley

Labels: , ,

16 Comments:

At December 22, 2011 at 1:08 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dara - this is BRILLIANT! I love that it's cooked in a skillet! I love it!

 
At December 22, 2011 at 8:31 AM , Anonymous sportsglutton said...

You know I've never seen lasagna done in a skillet before, but you've got my creative juices flowing with this idea. Looks fantastic!

cheers!
Jed

 
At December 23, 2011 at 9:35 AM , Blogger Alfredo said...

This looks great, can't wait to try it.
Only problem is I can't get Ricotto cheese in the winter where I live in Spain. Could I use mozzarella instead ?
Regards
Sarah

 
At December 23, 2011 at 9:36 AM , Blogger yolanda said...

This would be a nice sid dish on my Christmas buffet table. A verstaile recipe. It reminds me of how I make my Paella, on the stove top with no baking, though.

 
At December 23, 2011 at 9:46 AM , Blogger Daphne Elliot said...

@Alfredo

Alfredo: You can definitely use mozzarella. That would be delicious as well! Thanks for stopping by.

 
At December 23, 2011 at 10:01 AM , Anonymous Jen said...

Yum! Sounds great and an easy weeknight meal. Much easier than constructing layer after layer of lasagna.

 
At December 23, 2011 at 11:25 AM , Anonymous Jenny @ Savour the Senses said...

This is an awesome idea! Looks gorgeous too!

 
At December 23, 2011 at 1:59 PM , Blogger The Wifey said...

I can't wait to try this in 2012! I added it to my blog and Pinterest Board! Happy Holidays from the Wifey! <3

 
At December 23, 2011 at 3:37 PM , Blogger Neetu's kitchen said...

very yummy and nicely step by step presentation....

 
At December 23, 2011 at 5:12 PM , Blogger Kim Bee said...

Yummy, this looks so hearty and comforting right about now. Congrats on top 9 you rock star!

 
At December 23, 2011 at 6:10 PM , Blogger gastronomic nomad said...

Great idea! This looks so good and not a lot of ingredients at all. Looking forward to trying this after the new year. Congrats on your cookbook and top 9!

 
At December 23, 2011 at 6:20 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I made this for dinner tonight. It was a hit! You dont have to be a suburban to make this a hit! Congrats on your cookbook!
'Thanks,

 
At December 26, 2011 at 4:25 AM , Blogger Endy said...

super! I gotta try this out!

 
At December 29, 2011 at 4:57 PM , Blogger mgfrederic said...

I love quick and easy ideas...this looks great.

 
At January 17, 2012 at 2:29 PM , Blogger Georgia said...

I'm a college student trying to improve my poor cooking skills instead of spending all of my money eating out. Your step by step instructions give me the confidence to tackle this recipe!

 
At April 22, 2012 at 11:05 AM , Blogger CJ - Food Stories said...

Love the idea of lasagna in a skillet!

 

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means so much to me. Please let me know if you have questions about any of my recipes or if I forgot a step. Also, is there something you would like me to cook or a recipe to makeover? Let me know!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home