Monday, December 19, 2011

Craig's Scallop Stuffed Trout


I love fish. I don't eat nearly enough of it, but I love it. Usually, on Sundays, Craig and I get inspired at the supermarket and take home a nice piece of salmon or something. Yesterday, Craig decided that he wanted some trout, so I left him at the fish counter to go get some other stuff. He came back with trout and sea scallops and informed me he had invented a new recipe. So we got home and started experimenting.

There are many ways to stuff fish, usually crab meat is used, but I really loved the idea of using scallops instead. Bay scallops have so much flavor and a great texture. I knew they would hold up well in a stuffing. We decided to make the stuffing very simple, some onion, a bit of bacon, and parsley is all you need. Stuffed in the trout and roasted to perfection, this is a flavorful and lean meal that looks really impressive! I am so impressed with Craig's culinary imagination! The best part is that this is actually an incredibly simple dish to prepare. The prep is simple and then you just throw it all in the oven.

Read more for the full recipe!



Ingredients: Serves 2
2 medium brook trout, gutted and cleaned
1/2lb bay sea scallops, rinsed and chopped
1/4 lb thick cut bacon, diced
1/2 medium onion, diced
1 scallion, sliced
2 tbsp fresh parsley, washed and chopped
1/3 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
1/4 cup whole wheat panko
salt
black pepper
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided

Step by Step Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 350

2. Rise and pat trout dry, rub the inside of each fish with olive oil and season with salt and pepper

3. Arrange fish on a greased cookie sheet

4. In a small frying pan, saute onion and bacon for 3-4 minutes, until soft

5. Add onion and bacon mixture to a glass bowl and mix in breadcrumbs, scallion and parsley

6. Add chopped scallops and mix thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper

7. Using a small spoon, carefully stuff each fish with the stuffing mixture, and fold the fish over

8. Bake for 18-22 minutes, until skin begins to crisp

9. Serve with lemon slices

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At December 20, 2011 at 1:18 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Until I lived in Sicily, I had never contemplated a whole fish....now I love it - but hate that I developed an allergy! This looks terrific, Dara! LOVE the stuffing!

 
At December 20, 2011 at 2:06 PM , Anonymous Eva kitcheninspirations.wordpress.com said...

Wow roasting a whole fish, very nice! The stuffing sounds delicious too. When my friend's daughter was 7 she really wanted to have a whole fish - with the head ON. Their friends are chefs so they baked a whole fish. The first thing the daughter did was pop the eyeball out and eat it! EWE!

 
At December 20, 2011 at 11:31 PM , Blogger motherrimmy said...

What a beautiful plate. My husband, the fisherman, wishes he could catch fish this nice. :)

 

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means so much to me. Please let me know if you have questions about any of my recipes or if I forgot a step. Also, is there something you would like me to cook or a recipe to makeover? Let me know!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home