Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Apple Pecan Farro Salad


So it's truly fall. Yesterday I went apple picking! We got some fabulous early seasons apples and had a blast. Instead of making a pie or crumble, I decided to make a tasty salad to highlight these fall flavors. Simple and easy to make, this is a light dish that combines the nutty texture of farro with tart apples and crunch pecans. It may seem like a slightly strange combination, but it was soo delicious, especially when topped with fresh herbs.

Full recipe after the jump

Ingredients:
1 cup uncooked farro
1 large apple, cored and cubed
1/2 cup pecans, chopped
2 tbsp fresh thyme
1 medium red onion, diced
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 lemon, juiced
1 tsp dijon mustard
black pepper to taste

Step by Step Instructions:
1. Cook farro according to package directions, set aside and allow to cool slightly
2. In a medium pan, saute onion in olive oil for 2-3 minutes
3. Add apples and pecans and toss thoroughly
4. Cook mixture on lowest heat setting for 5-6 minutes
5. Whisk lemon juice, mustard and thyme together
6. Combine farro, apple mixture and dressing together
7. Season with black pepper
8. Serve warm

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means so much to me. Please let me know if you have questions about any of my recipes or if I forgot a step. Also, is there something you would like me to cook or a recipe to makeover? Let me know!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home