Monday, June 20, 2011

Bacon, Ricotta and Pistachio Pizza



Homemade pizza is always a special treat. This is a very unique combination of ingredients, but it makes for a delicious gourmet pizza. Crisp bacon and salty pistachios compliment the whole wheat crust and creamy ricotta. The secret to this pizza is to rub the crust with garlic and olive oil and bake it briefly before adding all the toppings. This adds a lot of flavor and character to the pizza. This is a filling meal, but could also be an impressive appetizer or dish to bring to a potluck.

Read more for the full recipe.


Ingredients:
8 oz whole wheat pizza dough
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
12 oz dry rub bacon
8 oz part skim ricotta cheese
1/3 cup shelled pistachios, chopped
1 medium onion, sliced
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
1 tbsp fresh oregano, chopped
1 tsbp fresh basil, chopped
1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
black pepper

Step by Step Instruction:


1. Preheat oven to 350

2. Cook bacon. It is essential the bacon only be just cooked and not too crispy

3. Roll out pizza dough with flour

4. Rub dough with olive oil and garlic and season with salt and pepper

5. Bake crust for 5-7 minutes and remove from oven

6. In a small bowl, mix ricotta and fresh herbs

7. Spread sliced onion on pizza dough and layer bacon strips across dough


8. Add dollops of ricotta mixture on dough

9. Sprinkle pistachios all over pizza

10. Season with parmesan cheese and black pepper

11. Bake for 10-15 minutes, until crust crisps. Lift crust and check the bottom to ensure it's fully cooked.


Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At July 7, 2011 at 10:44 PM , Blogger Kim Bee said...

Pistachio pizza....I think I might love you. Lol! I have to test this out. My fave snack food. Thanks for sharing this idea.

 
At July 8, 2011 at 8:43 PM , Anonymous Kristin said...

This looks delcious! I have to try this recipe!

 

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means so much to me. Please let me know if you have questions about any of my recipes or if I forgot a step. Also, is there something you would like me to cook or a recipe to makeover? Let me know!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home