Monday, May 16, 2011

Best Bolognese Sauce Ever


Craig came home today and begged me to make a bolognese sauce. I decided to create a version that highlighted a few different meats and some fresh herbs. This is a simple and flavorful sauce that will make your kitchen smell divine. Bacon, sausage and ground beef combine for a complex, meaty, and hearty sauce. Serve over the whole wheat pasta of your choice, I used farfalle, but anything would work well. Top with some fresh grated parmesan and black pepper.

Also, you may have noticed the gorgeous cutting boards I use in many of my photos. They are actually handmade by my grandfather, who sells them on Etsy! Click here to check out his page.

Full recipe after the jump!

Ingredients:
(Recipe makes 6 servings)
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 medium onion, diced
2 medium stalks of celery, diced
2 medium carrots, diced
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/4 lb dry rub bacon, chopped into 1/4" pieces
1/2 lb spicy (or mild) italian pork sausage, casings removed
1/2 ground sirloin
4 tbsp tomato paste
1/2 cup dry white wine (sav blanc or pino grigio both work well)
1 cup low sodium chicken broth
1 tbsp black pepper
1 tbsp fresh rosemary, washed and chopped (or 1 tbsp dried)
2 tbsp fresh basil, washed and chopped (or 1 tbsp dried)
2 tbsp fresh oregano, washed and chopped (or 1 tbsp dried)

Step by Step Instructions:
1. Saute garlic, onion, celery and carrot, 5-7 minutes, until soft

2. Add chopped bacon and sauté on medium heat, breaking up chunks, 3-4 minutes

3. Add sausage and brown, breaking up with a wooden spoon, 3-4 minutes

4. Add ground beef and brown, breaking up with a wooden spoon, 4-5 minutes

5. Add tomato paste, wine and chicken broth, mix thoroughly and simmer covered, 15-20 min

6. Add fresh basil, oregano, rosemary and black pepper, simmer an additional 10 minutes

7. Serve over pasta and top with grated parmesan

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

At May 17, 2011 at 12:52 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

you should post a direct link to ure gdad's etsy shop

 
At May 18, 2011 at 7:49 PM , Blogger Kelly | Eat Yourself Skinny said...

Mmm this looks soo delicious! SO glad to be your newest follower! :)
http://cookskinny.blogspot.com/

 
At June 5, 2011 at 7:20 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is the best bolognese I've ever had (let alone made!) outside of Italy. So. Good!!

 
At December 28, 2011 at 7:14 PM , Blogger Endy said...

Oh I love this sauce recipe! The only thing i wouldn't eat is the pork sausages, but i can change it with beef sausages :)
I love spaghetti and i will try to make this, maybe my version will use mushroom!

 

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means so much to me. Please let me know if you have questions about any of my recipes or if I forgot a step. Also, is there something you would like me to cook or a recipe to makeover? Let me know!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home