Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Chicken Sausage with Beans and Rabe


I got some great organic broccoli rabe from Sienna Farms and decided to make a warm and comforting dinner. Traditionally called manasta, this dish combines sausage, beans and some type of greens. It can be made with any combination of the three. While sometimes served over pasta or rice, I prefer to eat it with some hard, crusty bread. It's an incredible simple dish, that can be thrown together in less than 30 minutes. It's packed with protein, incredibly filling, and makes for a great leftover lunch.

Read more for the full recipe.

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes

Ingredients:
1lb chicken sausage, casing removed (hot, sweet, garlic, ect..)
1 cup cannelini beans, soaked (or 1 can, rinsed)
2 cups broccoli rabe, washed and chopped
1 medium onion, diced
1 tbsp garlic, minced
3 tbsp tomato paste
1 cup low sodium veggie broth (chicken is ok too)
1 tbsp fresh oregeno, chopped (or 1/2 tbsp dried)
1 tbsp fresh oregeno, chopped (or 1/2 tbsp dried)
2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped (or 1/2 tsp dried)
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
parmesan cheese
fresh bread

Step by Step Instructions:

1. Saute garlic and onion in olive oil on med heat until soft, 2-3 minutes

2. Add sausage and brown, breaking up into small chunks, 5-6 minutes

3. Add rabe and beans and brown for another 2 minutes

4. Add tomato paste, broth and herbs, cover reduce heat to med-low and simmer for 10-12 minutes

5. Serve with grated cheese and fresh bread.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At June 16, 2011 at 2:23 PM , Blogger Elena (Running in Heels After Child) said...

This looks so good, I make a version of this but I have never used broccoli rabe or tomato paste in it, I am going to have to try recipe.

I am with you on serving it with crusty bread, sometimes I put a big hunk of stale bread on the bottom of the bowl and put the soup on top- so good.

Thanks for the recipe,

elena

 
At June 19, 2011 at 9:31 PM , Blogger Jessica said...

I bet this would be an awesome filling in lasagna!

 
At October 27, 2011 at 1:20 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this recipe! My entire family really enjoyed this dish and I plan on making it a regular entree. Great combination of flavors!

 

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means so much to me. Please let me know if you have questions about any of my recipes or if I forgot a step. Also, is there something you would like me to cook or a recipe to makeover? Let me know!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home