Friday, February 11, 2011

Superfood Facts: Fennel


Fennel is a aromatic and flavorful herb that is both versatile and nutrient-dense. It is indigenous to the shores of the Mediterranean and its uses date back to the ancient Greeks who believed it gave longevity, strength and courage. In Greek mythology, Prometheus uses the stalks of fennel plants to conceal fire he stole from the gods. I just picked up some fresh fennel, so keep an eye out for some tasty recipes this weekend!

Read more below.

Some Fennel Facts:

  • Fennel is packed with antioxidants, particularly Vitamin C, which strengthens immunity and anethol, which reduces inflammation and prevents cancer.
  • It has many medicinal uses, including soothing digestive disorders, stimulating the flow of breast milk, treating colic, and anemia.
  • Fennel is also excellent for your vision. It protects eyes from inflammation, macular degeneration and glaucoma.
  • It also supports the nervous system, preventing and relieving muscle spasms. 
  • The flavoring anise is derived from fennel. It is also the flavoring ingredient in absinthe
  • Fennel is also the main ingredient in many toothpastes and breath mints.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means so much to me. Please let me know if you have questions about any of my recipes or if I forgot a step. Also, is there something you would like me to cook or a recipe to makeover? Let me know!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home