Sunday, February 6, 2011

Homemade Pretzels


Warm homemade soft pretzels are a crowd pleasing appetizer or snack. Serve with mustard and beer for a tasty game day treat. Having eaten soft pretzels at ballgames for years, I never thought I could make them easily at home. The key is the two step cooking process. First you boil the pretzels with baking soda and then you bake them to a crisp. The finished product is as good as any I've had at Fenway.

Full recipe and photos after the jump!

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Rise Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: approx. 20 minutes

Ingredients:
1 2/3 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup white flour
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 tsp salt
1 cup warm water
1 tbsp sugar
1 packet active dry yeast

Step by Step Instructions:
1. In a medium mixing bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water

2. In a separate bowl, mix flour, cheese and salt

3. Combine dry ingredients into wet ingredients

4. Mix with a hand or stand up mixer on low 2-3 minutes until dough begins to form

5. Knead dough into one large ball

6. Cover dough with a towel and allow to rise 1 hour

7. Preheat over to 350

8. Break off egg sized ball of dough and roll out on floured surface to a 10-12" strip

9. Fold dough strip into pretzel shape and twist the ends

10. Add 1/4 cup baking soda to a large pot of boiling water

11. Boil each pretzel for 2 minutes, drain and place on cookie sheet

12. Sprinkle pretzels with coarse salt and more cheese

13. Bake 10 minutes until dark brown and crispy

14. Serve warm with mustard

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At February 7, 2011 at 6:04 AM , Blogger Tes said...

Wow your pretzel looks really crispy and fresh! I need to try this recipe :)
Tes
http://tesathome.com

 

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means so much to me. Please let me know if you have questions about any of my recipes or if I forgot a step. Also, is there something you would like me to cook or a recipe to makeover? Let me know!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home