Thursday, February 3, 2011

Super Lean Chili



Spicy, filling chili is a great fall comfort food and an essential part of any football menu. It is so great to cook up a big pot of this and have leftovers for days. I like to serve it with some shredded jack cheese and blue corn tortilla chips. My version is low in calories and is loaded with filling protein and fiber. This recipe makes 8 servings which can be frozen for a quick dinner or a tasty lunch. It also includes three different types of beans, which add a ton of calcium, potassium, Vitamin B6, magnesium, folate, alpha-linolenic acid and antioxidants.

Full recipe after the jump!

Ingredients:
1 lb ground white meat turkey
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 jalepeno pepper, seeded and chopped
1 habenero pepper, seeded and chopped
1/2 cup dried black beans, soaked (or 1 15oz can)
1/2 cup dried chickpeas, soaked (or 1 15oz can)
3/4 cup dried kidney beans, soaked (or 1 15oz can)
1 cup pearl barley
1 24oz jar of tomato puree or crushed tomatoes (or 1 28oz can)
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp cayenne pepper
3 cups low sodium veggie broth (can also substitute chicken broth)

Step by Step Instructions:


1. Sauté garlic, onion, and peppers in olive oil until soft, about 5 minutes

2. Add ground turkey and brown, breaking up into small chunks

3. Add tomatoes and spices and simmer 5 minutes

4. Add beans and 2 cups of veggie broth and simmer 20 minutes

5. Add barley and 1 cup of veggie broth and simmer on medium-low for 30-45 minutes

6. Chili is finished after 30 minutes, but I recommend simmering longer for a more intense flavor


Nutrition Info: Makes 8 servings
Serving size: 1 full cup
287 calories
23g protein
12g fiber

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

At February 4, 2011 at 6:13 PM , Blogger Steve said...

Hi there Dara!

My name is Steve Walters and I recently started blogging at http://www.eatingbangkok.com, which is currently being updated with recipes, but in the next few months will be my vehicle for covering the food and restaurant scene in Bangkok Thailand.

I am now in the process of meeting as many food bloggers as I can and I found your site http://genyfoodie.blogspot.com recently and was pretty impressed. I've added your site to my Foodie Blogs list here: http://www.eatingbangkok.com/foodie-blogs/ and would also like to add you to my blogroll.

If you could add my site to your blogroll and write back to let me know it has been added (foodie [at] eatingbangkok.com) I will add you to mine as well and the exchange would be greatly appreciated!

As you might imagine I am very excited to get moved to Bangkok and get started on covering the food scene there as I feel it is an area that isn't well covered by English speaking bloggers. I plan on adding loads of great reviews, pictures and even video and will be holding contests as well. It should be fun, entertaining and informative for everyone that visits.

Thank you so much in advance for adding me to your blogroll and I look forward to reading your posts (I've subscribed!) and maybe even featuring some of your own posts as I do plan on a weekly roundup of Thai themed recipes and posts from other food bloggers.

Warm regards,
Steve

P.S. If you are on Twitter I would love to have you as a follower and I follow back:
http://www.twitter.com/eatingbangkok

 

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means so much to me. Please let me know if you have questions about any of my recipes or if I forgot a step. Also, is there something you would like me to cook or a recipe to makeover? Let me know!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home