Stromboli - A great Superbowl idea
Stroboli is a fun party food that is quick to prepare and can feed a crowd. It's basically a rolled up pizza which you can fill with whatever you like. I chose sausage, spinach and ricotta, but you can substitute veggies, italian meats such as cappicola or prosuitto, or chicken. I include ricotta because it's protein packed and adds a creamy texture while cutting down on the amount of mozzerella used. You serve it sliced with pizza sauce or hot sauce on the side.
Full recipe after the jump!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
1lb whole wheat pizza dough, thawed
whole wheat flour to roll out the dough
2 cups pizza sauce (you can buy this or just use homemade pasta sauce and reduce to desired thickness)
1 cup shredded mozzerella cheese
1 cup park skim ricotta cheese
1/2lb spicy italian chicken sausage, casing removed, cooked and crumbled
2 cups spinach, washed and chopped
1 egg, lightly beaten
Step by Step Instructions: Makes 8 Servings
1. Roll out dough into a large rectangle, approximately 16" x 14"
2. In a mixing bowl, thoroughly mix chopped spinach with ricotta
3. Spread a thin layer of ricotta over 80% of the dough, leaving a 3-4" margin at the end
4. Spread a thin layer of crumbled sausage over ricotta
5. Sprinkle 1 cup of sauce over the sausage evenly
6. Top with 1 cup of mozzarella cheese
7. Starting at one end, slowly and tightly roll the dough, keeping the toppings in tact, ending with the margin of untopped dough.
8. Fold ends of dough under
9. Transfer to greased baking sheet and bake at 350 for 10 minutes
10. After 10 minutes, remove, cover with egg wash, and bake for another 10 minutes.
11. Remove from over, cool, slice and serve.