Friday, January 28, 2011

Superfood Facts: Kale


Kale is a nutritional powerhouse that belongs to the Brassica family, a group of leafy green veggies (including cabbage, collards, and Brussels sprouts) that have gained superfood status due to their health-promoting, cancer-fighting, sulfur-containing phytonutrients. There are several varieties of kale; curly kale, ornamental kale, and dinosaur (aka Tuscan) kale. Each variety differs in size, taste, texture and appearance.

Kale has many incredible health benefits, including:
  • Lowers cancer risk in at least five different types of cancer. These researched include bladder, breast, colon, ovary and prostate. The Isothiocyanates made from glucosinolates in kale play a primary role in achieving these risk lowering benefits.
  • The glucosinolates in kale also support the body’s natural detoxification, all the way down to the genetic level
  • Kale is an excellent source of Omega-3’s. Just 100 calories worth of kale to provides more than 25% of our recommended daily Omega-3 fatty acids.
  • Kale is a phenomenal source of Vitamin K. One cup provides more micrograms of it than any other food on the planet. Vitamin K plays an important role in helping regulate our body’s inflammatory process.
  • Kale has over 45 different flavinoids, which have both antioxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits. This broad spectrum of antioxidants helps the body prevent cancer, chronic inflammation and oxidative stress.
More info after the jump!





How/When to Buy:
  • Kale is available year round, but most readily available from winter through early spring.
  • The leaves should be fresh, unwilted, and free from small holes and signs of browning or yellowing.
  • Choose kale with smaller leaves, which will be more tender and mild than larger leaves.
  • According to the Environmental Working Group, traditionally grown kale is contains high levels of pesticides and other harmful chemicals. Buy organic if you can.

How to Prepare/Store:
  • Store kale in the refridgerator in a plasic bag, removing as much air as possible. Exposure to air will make the kale wilt and soften.
  • To eat, remove kale leaves from the thick ribs and wash
  • I usually buy a big batch, clean and wash and then store in my OXO Salad Spinner, which keeps the leaves crisp and fresh for a week. Then I can grab whatever I need while I'm cooking.
As you can see, I am in love with kale. I will be posting a bunch of recipes soon!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At January 29, 2011 at 11:32 AM , Blogger nick said...

Have to say, I'm not a foodie and even I am really enjoying your blog. I'll be adding you to my blog's blogroll. If you ever want to submit a guest post to my site, theYmightier.com, here you go - http://bit.ly/he5frN. Keep up the good work!

 

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. It means so much to me. Please let me know if you have questions about any of my recipes or if I forgot a step. Also, is there something you would like me to cook or a recipe to makeover? Let me know!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home